Advise on my build please

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

Advise on my build please

Postby nismopath » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:46 am

I have come up with a plan for my upcoming build and wanted opinions or suggestions before I get it all. Anything I am missing, should know about or better recommendations ? I can provide more information if you need.

1. New tires. Currently have stock 265/65/17 highway tires on stock LE wheels (don't know the offset) on stock suspension. I will be upgrading to 265/70/17 A/T tires.

2. I am going to be lifting the car about 2", nothing crazy, just a little more clearance.. I need new shocks anyway so I believe this will be a good shock and will give a little more clearance the cheapest way.

FRONT
I am leaning toward the Bilstein option, but I have two options..
A) http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981342-path ... table.html

B) Only considering this option because my rear shocks are the only ones that are actually bad. Has anyone ran this option before ? Then I could save a little cash.
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981439-path ... pacer.html

REAR
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981403-path ... shock.html
PLUS
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981573-rear ... -lift.html

3. Wheel spacers. I cant find any 275 width tires that are not LT, and I do not want the weight of a LT tire. I found some good tires that are around 40lbs and that's where I'd like to stay, but I will need a little more width to fill out the fender. I have found two styles of wheel spacers and need to know the difference of. I think 1/2" is plenty to hit the fender, but the 1/2" spacers are literally just spacers and I need to know if I have to get extended studs. Has anyone had experience with this style before ? 1" seems like too much so I'd like to stick with 1/2" if I can. Based on my wheels / suspensions, do you all think 1/2" will hit the fender? I don't want them hanging outside the fender but I don't want them hugged inside, especially if I am lifting it 2".

OPTION 1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KY7UCW4/re ... NL9NCEBUY2

OPTION 2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KP4PJFG/re ... P6X8CABTJY

4. Airlift 1000. I don't haul a lot of things and the only reason I want it is because I do a lot of back country trail driving during hunting/fishing seasons and the roads are full of pot holes and dips so anything over 10mph and my rear end jumps up and slams back down hard. Will this actually help my rear shocks from going bad faster or do I just need to slow down !?

My last question is - I am going to get the tires and an alignment first. I will be getting the new lift shocks, spacers and airlift later. Do I need to do an alignment again after installing the new shocks? What about after the spacers? I like to have a plan of everything I am doing, but it all may come at different times, so if I have to get an alignment after shocks and after spacers, I will wait to install both at the same time and only do one alignment. I just don't know the answer.
Last edited by nismopath on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Bilstein 5100s in the front was the best setup. 1.5" of lift otherwise you will have coil bucket contact.

The rear if you go with any springs go with HD not MD since they will sag regardless. But airlift is the best bang for your buck. You will use it and need it the most. After your springs settle you can air up and use it for about 1" lift. But do not use rear spacers as they will make the ride worse and might damage your new shocks if they are too short.

The airlift wont cause any alignment issues but a spacer will. Shocks will not raise or lower it just dampens.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Any reason you aren't considering 255/75 or 255/80? Even GY Duratracs in 255/75 are only 43lbs, they are a little larger than 265/70 and you wouldn't need spacers. 255/80 is a 33" but I didn't check weights.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:Bilstein 5100s in the front was the best setup. 1.5" of lift otherwise you will have coil bucket contact.

The rear if you go with any springs go with HD not MD since they will sag regardless. But airlift is the best bang for your buck. You will use it and need it the most. After your springs settle you can air up and use it for about 1" lift. But do not use rear spacers as they will make the ride worse and might damage your new shocks if they are too short.

The airlift wont cause any alignment issues but a spacer will. Shocks will not raise or lower it just dampens.
Ok I will look at the HD springs instead of the spacer lift. If I go with the spacers I believe I purchase the 0" Lift shocks, If I go with the lift springs, I assume I need the 2" lift size shocks? If so, can I put on the lift springs and use my stock shocks for a couple months before getting the 2" lift shocks?
Also I guess i need to ask, if I get the 5100 series shocks for up front, I am able to use my stock springs right ?
docwatson wrote: Any reason you aren't considering 255/75 or 255/80? Even GY Duratracs in 255/75 are only 43lbs, they are a little larger than 265/70 and you wouldn't need spacers. 255/80 is a 33" but I didn't check weights.
I personally like a little space in the wheel well, I dont want a 75 or 80 because I dont want it riding all the way up. And a 255 is way to thin for my liking.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:07 pm

come on.. 90+ views..

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 pm

nismopath wrote:Also I guess i need to ask, if I get the 5100 series shocks for up front, I am able to use my stock springs right ?
From what I understand, the 5100's are fine with the stock springs. Though I would recommend that the springs be replaced with a heavy duty one if you're going to be takings things apart anyway. A pair of springs are sometimes cheaper than 1 shock/strut.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I would also go with the 5100s front as they will give you more options.

No matter spacer or springs you should get the 2" lift shocks as your wheel travel will be affected by the gained clearance. Again I would go with the springs and Airlift 1000s as this provides you the most options in the long run.

You can always add a front/rear spacer as you add armor, winches, and gear.

As for the tires, I haven't looked to much at the options in 265/70r17 but I am big Cooper fan. I am on my second set of Cooper A/T3s and they have preformed great in whatever I have thrown at them. Not a fan of wheel spacers, I would swap tires, add the lift and see if you still need/want the spacers.

Also if you think 255s are skinny, I am running 235/85...

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:
The rear if you go with any springs go with HD not MD since they will sag regardless. But airlift is the best bang for your buck. You will use it and need it the most. After your springs settle you can air up and use it for about 1" lift.
Are you saying I can get the 5100's for the front and raise the front to 1".. then just get the airlift setup and that will raise me 1" and I don't HAVE to get rear shocks or new coils ?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 am

nismopath wrote:
Thupertrooper wrote:
The rear if you go with any springs go with HD not MD since they will sag regardless. But airlift is the best bang for your buck. You will use it and need it the most. After your springs settle you can air up and use it for about 1" lift.
Are you saying I can get the 5100's for the front and raise the front to 1".. then just get the airlift setup and that will raise me 1" and I don't HAVE to get rear shocks or new coils ?

What i ment your new springs will settle and sag after a while about 1" the airlifts will give you that 1" back.

You can run new rear springs with stock shocks i would just not recommend any heavy wheeling till you get the longer shocks. Main problem is fully extending the shock multiple times might break a seal or welds like me.

I used stock front springs since i wasnt adding front bumper or winch or steel skids.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am

Thupertrooper wrote:
nismopath wrote:
Thupertrooper wrote:

What i ment your new springs will settle and sag after a while about 1" the airlifts will give you that 1" back.

Oh.. so I cant use just the airlift with my stock shocks and stock rear springs and get a 1" lift ?
I measured my fenders and I am right on even. I had thought that my rear shocks were bad because it was bouncy when I ride through some backwoods dirt roads, but i figure it is just the lightness of the rear making it jump up and down so much over the potholes. I don't do any wheeling, just want a little lift and more sturdiness in the rear, for the least amount of money. So if I can do the bilstein 5100 lift struts in the front and just the airlift in the rear, I would be happy

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:32 am

Airlift air bags will never be a bad option. Even after doing mods to my pathy i still think the airlifts were the best purchase.

i would start with the airbags and go from there but i dont think you will get a significant lift with them. But just depends on yours.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

If I stick with my stock shocks and just get the airlift, would I need an alignment after ? I have to do this in stages and would prefer to do the airlift now then save for the right shocks, but I need some help now so the airlift should help me on the potholes bouncing up and down so much. I slow down and barely go over them but the back end is so light it jumps up and slams back down so hard.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Lets us know how it goes.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:18 pm

do I need another alignment after I install the airlift though ?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:54 pm

nismopath wrote:do I need another alignment after I install the airlift though ?
No

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”