Transmission Slip after Drain and Fill

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jhg120

Transmission Slip after Drain and Fill

Postby jhg120 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Just as stated, drained and filled with Valvoline Maxlife this weekend at 60k miles. Did it the first time at 30k miles, same fluid, same routine.

Engine cold the level is fine, engine warm it's fine...

So, when I first get in and drive I have to come to a stop at a stop sign. Once I stop and start to go, the engine will rev to about 3k rpm without the vehicle moving. I let off gas, it will then drive just fine. No clunks, noises, shifts great through all gears. Happened right after I did the drain and fill.

Could this really have screwed something up????

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:07 pm

It's odd because I've been using (along with a lot of other members) Valvoline Maxlife ATF for years and never had any issues. A drain and fill changes out less than half of the total fluid capacity, so it's possible that the timing is just coincidence.

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Well it hasn't done it since the original two times, so hopefully it's nothing major. We'll see I guess, thx.

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Might be it swallowed a big bubble of air when you drained it, so it had to digest it. I bet it's just one-time issue.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:02 am

jhg120 wrote:Well it hasn't done it since the original two times, so hopefully it's nothing major. We'll see I guess, thx.
labsy wrote:Might be it swallowed a big bubble of air when you drained it, so it had to digest it. I bet it's just one-time issue.
if it did finally digest an air bubble, the level of fluid may be low as a result.
check the level frequently & adjust accordingly, if necessary

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 am

To update, it hasn't happened since. I have checked, and it's like a mm, or super small amount below the hot mark when fully hot, so like 99.9%. I'll let it go for 15k and then drain and fill again.

Just upgraded the stock speakers......wow, those stock non-bose speakers are HORRIBLE. Like I dropped a screw driver head, just the tip, and it went right through the paper cone. Nice.

Now I just need to get an amp, probably put it under the rear middle seat.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”