Engine jerks on 87 octane gas.

The new gas engine 3.5L v6, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Engine jerks on 87 octane gas.

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Personally, I have only R51's, but, someone I work with has a 2014 Pathfinder and asked me about it. She says when she runs on 89 or higher octane gas, the engine runs fine. But, when she runs 87 octane gas, the vehicle jerks (she's already had the transmission recall). Owner's manual says she should be able to run on 87 octane. Anyone with similar problems or know of what's causing this problem?

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Does she always buy the gas at the same place? She should run her tank almost to empty and then fill up at a Top Tier station. If the problem persists, it may be a clogged fuel filter.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-main ... tra-price/

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I can't picture the fuel filter, which is part of the fuel tank module inside the gas tank, causing a drivability issue with 87 octane and not with 89 or higher octane. As far as top tier gasoline use, I don't know what she uses. However, if valve deposits were the issue, I would expect the issue to not be quickly rectified by running a tank of 89 or higher octane fuel through it. It takes time to build up valve deposits and they don't get removed quickly from the valves unless they serviced by some kind of cleaning method, be it chemical or by walnut shell blasting. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 am

My sister had a similar issue with her Jeep and we narrowed it down to the gas station she was buying fuel at. It seems the station has issues with water in the fuel. We ran a can of Seafoam in a tank of fuel and it took care of the issue.

Return to “R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”