Front strut replacement procedure question

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

triplesnake

Front strut replacement procedure question

Postby triplesnake » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 am

So, we are getting ready to do shocks and struts on the Pathfinder (Rancho quicklift :D ) and I'm finding inconsistent info on what is needed to get the fronts done (I've been looking at Xterra and Frontier boards too since they are essentially the same). I see where some have disconnected the ball joint, some where they disconnected the tie rod, and some say it can be done with just unbolting the strut (and sway bar) and working it out of there. What's the truth? Can it be done without unbolting either of these other components or not? Or, does it just make it easier to undo the ball joint?

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:43 am

I just finished replacing my front struts and only removed the sway bar. I should not though my replacements were monroe quickstruts so I wasn't dealing with any extra height.

I unbolted the top link nut and the removed the bracket on the frame which dropped the sway bar down enough to get a wrench and socket on the lower strut bolt. It took a little maneuvering but the strut came out and went in relatively smooth.

The toughest part was loosening the main lower strut bolt. Its torqued to something like 155 ft-lbs which, without a impact gun was a beast. I did about 3 cycles of heat and PB Blaster on the driver's side before it broke free for me. The passenger only took 1 cycle and loosened.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:04 pm

I only disconnect the sway bar from the lower control arm. Otherwise, two bolts on the bottom and three nuts on the top side and maneuver the strut assembly out. Now, that said, I'm referring to stock assemblies; I haven't done any in which the ride height will be increased.

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it first with just disconnecting the swaybar. That should work even with the quick lift since I think the whole assembly is the same size as the stock unit since the ride height increase comes from just the location of the spring perch on the strut. Once I get the spacers for the rear I'll get it done and report back.

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Got this done today, and I can confirm that it is possible to swap the fronts, even with quick lift units, with only unbolting the sway bar. No ball Joint dis-assembly required. 8)

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Pics or it didn't happen!

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Here's a crappy one from my wife's phone right after we finished. I'll take more better ones this weekend.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:09 pm

looks good man!

Fryguy22

Postby Fryguy22 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 am

Looks good!

I'm about to do the same to my rig.

What are the torque specs you used in the front on the various bolts?
Also, do you have the torque specs for the rear shocks as well?

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I don't recall the torque specs. Your best bet would be to look up a copy of the FSM online and get them from there. Good luck with your rig.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 pm

I need to do the same with my front ones to level the truck. I've only done the rear with aftermarket "stock" springs and Bilsteins and when I was finished, I noticed that the rear set up higher. Now I have a slight rake to the truck kinda like a dragster and so I need to balance it out.

Quick question, roughly how long did it take to change them out?

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Late to reply, but when changing out front strut/spring components, the only time I had to disconnect the ball joint (on my Xterra) was when I was installing front lift springs without a spring compressor. YMMV

Glad you got it sorted, looks good

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:11 pm

underworld1001 wrote:
Quick question, roughly how long did it take to change them out?
It did not take long at all, probably around an hour, with my wife "helping" and we were taking our time.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”