Firestone Dest A/T

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Firestone Dest A/T

Postby Kestral » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

After this last winter I realized that I have to stick with an aggressive A/T tire on my R51. It's either that or I switch them out for snow tires and switch back to summer tires in springtime and I don't want to do that.

Anyway I am looking at the Firestone Destination A/T tire from a local dealer that is trying to win my tire business for work and all the company cars I take care of. Anyone ever run them who can comment on them?

I need to stay pretty aggressive on a tread pattern esp considering the delivers I make in all kinds of weather with my Pathy.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:39 am

As far as All-terrain tires go, the Firestone Destination A/T is pretty average and a little below average during wet braking. I would look at the Hankook Dynapro AT-M; it's the #1 rated A/T tire per Consumer Reports and they are reasonably priced, as far as truck tires go. Other good choices are the Michelin LTX A/T2, the Cooper Discoverer A/TW and the Falken WildPeak A/T01.

grm3

Postby grm3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I've been running the Destination A/Ts for just over 50,000 miles.
I have been very happy with them. They've been good on the road - wet and dry - and no issues in snow. Lightyears beyond the original BF Goodrich tires that came stock, which I replaced after about 36,000 miles due to poor wet braking and snow performance.

If you're getting a good deal on them, then go for it.

I'll likely be replacing at the end of the year with the same. They still have about 5/32-6/32 of tread left, but they are starting to show some cracks in the tread, since they are about 7 years old.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”