low idle when in "D" stopped at a light

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

low idle when in "D" stopped at a light

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm

2012 V6 4wd, 105k miles.

Sometimes (not always, but often) I get a low idle when stopped at a light in "D".

Normal idle seems just a hair under 700 indicated rpm (in "P" or "N").

When I drive up to a light and hold the brake in "D" stopped idle drops to 500 indicated rpm and I experience a certain amount of vibration that seems excessive and is clearly the result of the low idle.

Nothing crazy, some non car guys might not even notice it..or think its normal... but it jumps out to me as non-normal.

Otherwise engine and transmission both very smooth.

Thoughts?

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Mass air flow sensor?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 am

If it did it in N and P I would agree, that or dirty injectors..

But ( and this is the limitation of describing things on internet) it almost seems as if the act of stopping in D the transmission is still "grabbing" a bit.

Maybe the clutch not completely releasing in this situation.
So it worries me a bit I dont want to wear down that material.

I did get an aftermarket powertrain warranty (which I usually never do but seemed was a good deal considering the vehicles milage and the complexity of a 4WD system.

I may bring it to the dealer.... :?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 am

My 2012 V6 does the exact same thing and has since I bought it with under 8,000 miles now 54k. It seems to be a fairly common issue with the VQ40DE V6.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 am

From what I've read around the forums, the vibration is common/normal.

Mine does it since I've bought it brand new. But I really haven't noticed the low RPMs.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:42 am

First thing I noticed is the 105K miles listed on your vehicle. Spark plugs are due at this point, so if they haven't been replaced yet, now would be the time. An idle air volume relearn "might" help improve it. Advancing the base timing 2-3 degrees helps and the base idle can be tweaked a little, but this requires a capable scan tool or a tuner, like Superchips or Bully Dog. That said, a slightly rough or low idle is a trait of this engine, especially in its stock settings.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks fellas!! :)

I'm still not doing a good job describing it though..... let me try again (BTW this is my 3rd VQ40 powered vehicle also had 6 (if memory serves) VQ35 powered vehicles before this one..)

- Engine is smooth during normal and hard driving
- Transmission is smooth during normal and hard driving
- When stopped in P or N very smooth idle at a tad above 700 rpd (indicated). Always idles smooth in this condition which precludes Idle control valve in my mind and also precludes injectors). Just as smooth as my Xterra with 87k miles and recent throttle body clean/induction service...in other words as smooth as you will ever get a VQ40
- When stopped in D, foot on brake however sometimes the revs go down to 500. The transmission seems to "catch" a bit... then and only then the idle turns very rough .. To me its feels as if the clutch is "catching" like when you are in a manual and partially release the clutch to ride it a bit on a hill start.... at the edge of "catching" it will push down the RPMs and the car will vibrate as it nears its stall point.
- I am now probably making it sound worse than it is but that is the best way I know to describe it.

. When I have time maybe I will check the plugs...
So much about this vehicle seems so well maintained and it pulls so hard and shifts so well..I would not be surprised to see them fresh but we will see

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 pm

It's still doing it...

When stopped and engine runs rough in D, feels like the tranny is "catching" a bit then shifting into "N" the engine smooths .

I am worried the clutch material will see premature wear with whatever is going on

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 pm

According to your description, it really looks like torque converter does not release it enough at idle speed. I would check ATF level very precisely - I found mine is very picky about level. Even 1/5 quart over the max level worsens shifting noticeably. Had to pull some ATF out to be just below max, then it is in my case best.

Also check for cross-contamination regularly.

08npf

Postby 08npf » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 pm

My 08 pathfinder has done it ever since I bought it. It doesn't do it while driving in town, it's normally during highway speeds. If I remember correctly I did a search on this problem a few years back and found that other people were having the same problem.

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 am

I know exactly what you are describing and I am experiencing exactly same symptoms.

Engine/transmission feel perfectly fine while driving BUT while stopped at a light in D, the idle will drop to about 500rpm causing a fairly noticeable vibration. This gets worse over time. I first noticed it 2 years ago where it used to do it once every 10 stops, now it would be 7 out of 10 stops. Outside temperature doesn't seem to matter.

While researching this issue I found these solutions:

- Possibly a bad engine mount (apparently Nissan had a TSB on this, but what I can remember my truck was supposed to have the updated part already)
- perform an idle relearn as well as throttle position sensor relearn

I printed out the instructions on that but haven't actually done the procedure. Will do it next time I'll be doing some work on the truck.

Hope this helps a bit.

heckler40

Postby heckler40 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 am

Yup I have this too. I thought there was a TSB on this. The ECU should monitor low RPM during stops with the trans engaged. Does a bad job.

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 am

I had the same problem. I monitored and listened for a long while. It was only doing it while the front of the vehicle was pointing up. Even just a little. My understanding is the the uphill assist is slightly engaging. Even though my vehicle doesn't officially have that feature, the transmission does. Mine doesn't officially have downhill assist either but if I pump the brakes two or three times going downhill, it'll shift down and hold the truck at a pretty stable speed. According to the mechanic, you can change the Gravity Sensor Assembly and that may or may not help. About $700 parts and labor. The sensor alone was nearly $500. I chose to ignore it. :shock:

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue May 23, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks fellas!!! : )

Eddie V

Postby Eddie V » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 am

palmerwmd wrote:Thanks fellas!!! : )
Hello there, did you get the problem fixed?
I face absolutely the same symptoms on my 08 Pathfinder, and have no guess of how to get done with it...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”