The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveF66

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing Reply with quote

Hi,

Yesterday morning I was driving my 2006 R51, when I noticed that the handbrake and battery (charge) lights were flashing on the dash. The car was running and driving normally. Got to work & parked up, when I got back into car, lights were off but after about half a mile both started flashing again. Travelled 10 miles home (car running fine). Parked up again, had to make a short trip of about 2 miles, lights were flashing but on return trip, the ABS, ESP (VDC) and Slip Indicator lights joined in, so had 5 lights: Brake, Battery, ABS, ESP & Slip.

After I turned off engine the car wouldn't start, there's definitely power in the battery (haven't measured voltage) as car locks/unlocks, interior lights come on when door opened, radio/nav display is working. When I try start, the engine doesn't turnover and there's clicking sounds (relays?).

Any ideas?
eieio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing Reply with quote

DaveF66 wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday morning I was driving my 2006 R51, when I noticed that the handbrake and battery (charge) lights were flashing on the dash. The car was running and driving normally. Got to work & parked up, when I got back into car, lights were off but after about half a mile both started flashing again. Travelled 10 miles home (car running fine). Parked up again, had to make a short trip of about 2 miles, lights were flashing but on return trip, the ABS, ESP (VDC) and Slip Indicator lights joined in, so had 5 lights: Brake, Battery, ABS, ESP & Slip.

After I turned off engine the car wouldn't start, there's definitely power in the battery (haven't measured voltage) as car locks/unlocks, interior lights come on when door opened, radio/nav display is working. When I try start, the engine doesn't turnover and there's clicking sounds (relays?).

Any ideas?

charge & load test battery, replace if necessary, and check for loose and/or corroded battery posts & clamps?

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
DaveF66

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing Reply with quote

eieio wrote:
charge & load test battery, replace if necessary, and check for loose and/or corroded battery posts & clamps?

Thanks, I had a quick look at clamps last night and they seemed secure, but haven't checked for corrosion etc. I'll check that.
eieio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing Reply with quote

DaveF66 wrote:
eieio wrote:

Thanks, I had a quick look at clamps last night and they seemed secure, but haven't checked for corrosion etc. I'll check that.

the negative clamp may not be tight even with the pinch nut fully tightened
the clamp may still "pivot" on the post

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
DaveF66

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be a faulty Altenator. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Electrical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: