Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

DaveF66

Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing

Postby DaveF66 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 am

Hi,

Yesterday morning I was driving my 2006 R51, when I noticed that the handbrake and battery (charge) lights were flashing on the dash. The car was running and driving normally. Got to work & parked up, when I got back into car, lights were off but after about half a mile both started flashing again. Travelled 10 miles home (car running fine). Parked up again, had to make a short trip of about 2 miles, lights were flashing but on return trip, the ABS, ESP (VDC) and Slip Indicator lights joined in, so had 5 lights: Brake, Battery, ABS, ESP & Slip.

After I turned off engine the car wouldn't start, there's definitely power in the battery (haven't measured voltage) as car locks/unlocks, interior lights come on when door opened, radio/nav display is working. When I try start, the engine doesn't turnover and there's clicking sounds (relays?).

Any ideas?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Handbrake, Battery, ABS, ESP lights flashing

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 am

DaveF66 wrote:Hi,

Yesterday morning I was driving my 2006 R51, when I noticed that the handbrake and battery (charge) lights were flashing on the dash. The car was running and driving normally. Got to work & parked up, when I got back into car, lights were off but after about half a mile both started flashing again. Travelled 10 miles home (car running fine). Parked up again, had to make a short trip of about 2 miles, lights were flashing but on return trip, the ABS, ESP (VDC) and Slip Indicator lights joined in, so had 5 lights: Brake, Battery, ABS, ESP & Slip.

After I turned off engine the car wouldn't start, there's definitely power in the battery (haven't measured voltage) as car locks/unlocks, interior lights come on when door opened, radio/nav display is working. When I try start, the engine doesn't turnover and there's clicking sounds (relays?).

Any ideas?
charge & load test battery, replace if necessary, and check for loose and/or corroded battery posts & clamps?

DaveF66

Postby DaveF66 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 am

eieio wrote:charge & load test battery, replace if necessary, and check for loose and/or corroded battery posts & clamps?
Thanks, I had a quick look at clamps last night and they seemed secure, but haven't checked for corrosion etc. I'll check that.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:50 am

DaveF66 wrote:
eieio wrote:charge & load test battery, replace if necessary, and check for loose and/or corroded battery posts & clamps?
Thanks, I had a quick look at clamps last night and they seemed secure, but haven't checked for corrosion etc. I'll check that.
the negative clamp may not be tight even with the pinch nut fully tightened
the clamp may still "pivot" on the post

DaveF66

Postby DaveF66 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am

Turned out to be a faulty Altenator. :cry:

Return to “R51 Electrical”