New UK Member

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

nateoverland

New UK Member

Postby nateoverland » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:47 am

Hello everyone,

Just bought my first Pathfinder. Planning on using it for overlanding / camping around the UK and Europe.

its a 2.5 Diesel manual truck. pretty tidy got a couple of jobs i need to do on it but nothing major, anything i should watch out for?

any UK members able to offer any advice for insurance? i've had a company car for more than two years so dont have no claims and getting some silly quotes.

Image[/URL]

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:52 am

Nice truck! Welcome

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks!

another question i have is aftermarket gauges... i come from a mitsubishi world and a water temp gauge is pretty much essential to avoid a headgasket failure, do people fit aftermarket gauges to the pathfinders or are the stock gauges quite reliable?

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 pm

If I'm not mistaken there was a fuel gauge issue for a few model years, but don't quote me on that as I can be confusing this with a different vehicle. Other than that, I've found the gauges to be quite reliable and without issue.

fogman

Postby fogman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm

thats a nice looking pathy :wink: insurance wise ive used admiral for the 3 years ive owned mine, im getting on a bit but with full no claims 8k per year i pay £280 ish ( i cant remember exactly) which aint too bad.

im not sure if you are aware but nissan uk navaras and pathys could have problems with chassis corrosion which is causing some to rot from inside outwards 05 -07 models in particular are at risk, basically nissan will give you a free inspection carried you by either the rac or dekra at your home address and give you the result a few days later, should it fail they will offer to buy it from you. hopefully yours is 1 of the good ones, im just giving you the heads up !
should you want to call nissan customer services to arrange an inspection its 0330 123 1231

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Damn I wish we got the diesels in north america.

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replys guys,

I did read about the chassis corrosion issue, and before i bought it i checked it over and it looks to have been undersealed throughout, but i didnt realise nissan offered the service to check it out so i think i'll check that out thanks a lot!

good to hear the gauges are more reliable in these, the fuel gauge definitely works, a bit too well i might add ;)

so far so good, got some hella spot lights for the bull bars so might fit them this bank holiday weekend.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am

Welcome!!! 8)

I wish we had a diesel and manual trans here in America :cry:

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Manual vehicles are much more common in the UK, and personally i prefer them, i've nothing against automatics, and i've owned some in the past, but there is some kind of connection you have with a manual vehicle, like it needs you more or something like that haha.

The turbo diesel is ok, its quite powerful, i'm not sure how economical it is in comparison with the american versions, think you have v6 and v8? I think i get about 30mpg out of it on the motorway so its probably not much different.

i'd prefer the sound of a v6 or v8 all day long though, the diesel does sound like a farm truck / tractor!

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:33 pm

@fogman

Thanks for the advice, just to let everyone know I got Nissan to come out and test the chassis on the truck. It passed the test without any problem. Previous owner has had the chassis and underneath fully undersealed and it seems to have kept corrosion at bay, i'll just need to make sure I keep it in good shape.

fogman

Postby fogman » Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

thats good to hear nateoverland, hope you enjoy pathy ownership ;) i get approx 28 mpg ish from mine, it was slightly better before fitting a set of crossbars on the roof rails.... i should take them off really as ive only used them once in over 2 years lol

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Haha I just fitted some cross bars on the roof rails! I want to mount a light bar to them and also an awning when i can afford one, so i'll have to live with the mpg. accepted that you dont buy a truck like this for good mpg.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 am

30mpg :shock: :shock: :shock: WTF?!

My V6 can barely get 20mpg all highway on a good day. I average around 15mpg with city/highway. Wanna trade? :lol: :lol:

nateoverland

Postby nateoverland » Fri May 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Ouch, thats like Range Rover MPG!

However i guess fuel costs less in the US right? I mean diesel in the UK at the moment is £1.19 per litre. ($1.54) obviously costs more on the motorway services, can be upto £1.40.

Must admit though I am quite happy with the fuel consumption of the pathfinder, I used to have a mitsubishi truck and that was a 2.8TD and it guzzled diesel. Pathfinder isn't what i'd consider a cheap car to run but it keeps the wife off my back as I only fill it up every couple of weeks unless i have to do a long run.

I think i'd rather have 20MPG and US weather than 30MPG and UK Weather! :P

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”