Need help wtih some gremlins

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

cbova

Need help wtih some gremlins

Postby cbova » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

My wife has a 2012 with 86000 miles on it. We picked it up a couple months ago from a private seller and have been battling some annoyances ever since. A little back story, it had an aftermarket remote start that was installed a few months before we purchased it. When I was trying to diagnose issue #3 I noticed right away that it was installed by a kindergartner. No connection was soldered, they were all just stripped, twisted and taped. They did use a bypass so they didn't have to sacrifice a key. The unit functioned just sloppy install so I re installed with proper connections hoping I would find an obvious problem explaining the radio/clock. Fast forward to present the radio is no better and I have 2 new issues.

The latest issue is related to the climate control. Lately after 10-15 minutes the heat slowly diminishes to cool. If you turn the temp up a few degrees it will warm up for a few more minutes before going cold again, repeat until 90 (max heat) where it will roast you out, max temp is the only setting that stays hot. I have checked the coolant level and added some for peace of mind but it was not low (I have not burped it yet but don't think that's my issue). If you shut it down and restart it works normal for the next 10-15 minutes and then back to the cool. Same result in auto or manual and regardless of if recirc is on or not. I ran the climate control self diagnosis which resulted in no faults. I have checked the heater hoses on either side of the valve on the passenger firewall and they are warm on both sides so I believe that to be functioning. The amount of time it takes for it to go from warm to cold seems to be too fast to deplete the heat in the heater core. It's as if you just turned the temp dial down by hand, therefore I think it's not a coolant flow issue. I plan to check the interior temp sensor for resistancs/temp but I don't have high hopes I'll find it at fault. After that, I'm not sure where to go next.

Second issue seemingly not related but coincidently close to the same time that the heater started acting up. The auto-down/up window stopped working on the driver side only. Normal up down work fine but if I auto up it goes up a few inches and then back down (as if pinch protection was activated except it rolls completely down not just the normal 2"). I've tried all of the reset procedures known to youtube (except removing the door panel to access the motor, I see no reason that should be required)and none of them work. This happened immediately after reconnecting the battery after re-doing a sloppy install of remote start. I have double checked that I plugged everything back in after that but I will triple when I can.

The third issue that has been annoying my wife since we took ownership is the radio presets... or lack there of. If the ignition is off for more than a few minutes the presets are gone and half the time it's on a different input that it was left on (will be off after listening to the radio). I have tried all of the 'normal fixes' to no avail. The extended storage fuse, clean battery posts etc., I load tested the battery and checked good. Clock has been an hour off since we've owned it. Now related to this, when I had the battery disconnected for at least a day and a half all of the 'presets' were the same as when it was disconnected, is there a default list or am I missing something. This is a non-Bose, non-nav model. Could this just be a head unit thing, almost worth the $85 for a used one to rule it out.

So any ideas?
Thanks,
Chris

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:13 pm

chris,

have the same symptom as you in paragraph 3.
If I find anything will let you know

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 pm

on the window switch issue, I have replaced mine with aftermarket. I have gone through 2 of them off of ebay, but they were $30 each so no biggie.

But I discovered that simply removing the switch, unplugging and plugging back in can resolve the issue you mentioned.

Give it a try and let us know!

Sorry, not much help on the other issues.

dnorto03

Following this conversation...

Postby dnorto03 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Same/Similar problems...Radio forgets settings.

Return to “R51 Electrical”