Advice for roof rail cross bar for cargo box?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

rangeoflight32

Advice for roof rail cross bar for cargo box?

Postby rangeoflight32 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I have a 2012 Pathfinder and would like to get a cargo roof box for longer road trips. I can't even figure out what kind and size cross bars to put up on the roof. I tried the Fit Guide on the Thule and Yakima sites and they are either vague or just don't work.

So what width do I need and also is there much of an advantage to getting the expensive aerodynamic ones over something standard?

I can't figure out what size cargo box, because I don't want it blocking the sunroof. Some of the Thule cross bars supposedly don't even allow you to open the sunroof (according to their website), so that would be a deal killer right there.

I've spend a lot of time doing research but just can't figure it out, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 am

I have a sportrack box. I have had it on the rig for years now and love it. I got it on clearance for $180 canadian. It's still in like new condition. The thing is like 7 feet long and fits 3 full sized Diggle bags easy. It goes right onto the stock rails no problem.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 am

DiBo wrote:I have a sportrack box. I have had it on the rig for years now and love it. I got it on clearance for $180 canadian. It's still in like new condition. The thing is like 7 feet long and fits 3 full sized Diggle bags easy. It goes right onto the stock rails no problem.
I still need the cross rails, so trying to determine what size to get. Then have to figure out a good cargo box, but I don't want it so long that it blocks the sunroof or doesn't even allow me to open it.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am

I bought my cross bars from eBay 5 years ago for $150. Now it's less than $50. See thread here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-for-2005-20 ... 17&vxp=mtr

I have a Yakima 16s cargo box: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=yakima

But I don't have a sunroof.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am

Ok thanks much. I just looked at your thread and what you have looks absolutely perfect. It seems like doesn't go too far forward, so wouldn't obstruct the sunroof. I ordered those rails from ebay and just hope they get here before my trip.

The Thule website has "Aeroedge" crossbars for $459 and says :

"Thule does not recommend opening, venting, or retracting the sunroof/moonroof/glass roof while the rack is mounted. Damage to the glass and/or opening mechanism can occur."

I don't even get that because I just retracted the sunroof on my Pathfinder and it just goes straight back and doesn't even raise up above the hood.

I looked up the "Yakima SkyBox 16s" and seems like like there is a newer model called "Yakima SkyBox Carbonite Cargo Box", so I suppose I will go with that. They still sell the Skybox 16s on Amazon though, but looks like a bit more expensive. But hopefully this Carbonite one will work for me and thanks much for the info and pics.
Last edited by rangeoflight32 on Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm

rangeoflight32 wrote:Ok thanks and I will check those out. The Thule website has these "Aeroedge" crossbars for $459 and says :

"Thule does not recommend opening, venting, or retracting the sunroof/moonroof/glass roof while the rack is mounted. Damage to the glass and/or opening mechanism can occur."

I don't even get that because I just retracted the sunroof on my Pathfinder and it just goes straight back and doesn't even raise up above the hood.

I'm thinking if I get one of the smaller boxes, then it shouldn't really interfere with the sunroof. I don't see how the rails could.
I'd think the OEM crossbars should work fine, and if you're not sure, contact the cargo box manufacturers directly and see what they say.
They ordinarily make their mounting hardware based upon OEM roof racks and crossbars.
You can probably get the OEM setup w/hardware from a salvage yard.
The warning that you saw may be a generic warning (very common CYA policy these days), but may not affect your sunroof at all because of it's configuration.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:03 pm

eieio wrote: You can probably get the OEM setup w/hardware from a salvage yard.
I didn't even think of that. I ordered the $50 from ebay, but need it soon and not sure if it will get here in time, so might not hurt to check the big salvage yard near me.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 am

Also, have you looked at Sears X-Cargo brands? They are much cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/automotive-exterio ... 1289805741

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:Also, have you looked at Sears X-Cargo brands? They are much cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/automotive-exterio ... 1289805741
Looks like another good option and also more affordable, but I am pressed for time before this trip, so i went with the Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite. It arrived today and looks huge, but I put it on top of the Pathfinder and seems like will be a near perfect fit, as far s the length goes.

I bought the Yakima crossbar system and was about $350 total, but I also ordered the $50 standard bars from ebay, so will try them both out and see which one I like. I don't like how the Yakima bars come out a few inches on the side of the rails. I don't like the way that looks and also don't like something sticking out like that for possible off road.

So hopefully the $50 bar will get here soon and I can try them both out and will report back what I go with and hopefully post some pics as well. Thanks again for all the help.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”