Rear eccentric bolts

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

SoloVoyager

Rear eccentric bolts

Postby SoloVoyager » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:10 pm

I had an all 4 wheel alignment done recently. Apparently, the rear eccentric bolts need replacing since they are rusted in and couldn't be removed -- so my local garage tells me. The rear wheel alignment wasn't totally successful therefore.

My questions are:

1) Anybody know the part number for these eccentric bolts? (I understand they'll break during the removal process.)

2) How many bolts are there in total in the rear?

3) An aside, but anybody know a good online store with bargains for Nissan spare parts?

4) Anybody had these eccentrics replaced?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 pm

The front eccentric bolts are the same part numbers as the rear. There are two, lower links on each side of the rear suspension: a front link and a rear link. The front, rear suspension link has a regular bolt in the front and an eccentric assy. in the rear. The rear, rear suspension link has one eccentric link. One does the toe and the other does the camber. So, if you are in need of all of the eccentric bolts, here are the part numbers:

Pin assy., Nissan P/N 54580-7S000, Quantity: 4
Disc eccentric, Nissan P/N 54559-1Z600, Quantity: 4
Nut, Nissan P/N 08918-6441A, Quantity: 4

Here's the problem, though: if the bolt is seized, then it is seized to the metal sleeve inside the control arm bushing. This means the bolts will have to be cut out and in addition to the eccentric bolts, you will also need the control arms and the straight bolts for the front bushing of the front, rear suspension link.

Here's a diagram:

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... b6%3dSE%29

SoloVoyager

Postby SoloVoyager » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:13 am

smj999smj wrote:The front eccentric bolts are the same part numbers as the rear. There are two, lower links on each side of the rear suspension: a front link and a rear link. The front, rear suspension link has a regular bolt in the front and an eccentric assy. in the rear. The rear, rear suspension link has one eccentric link. One does the toe and the other does the camber. So, if you are in need of all of the eccentric bolts, here are the part numbers:

Pin assy., Nissan P/N 54580-7S000, Quantity: 4
Disc eccentric, Nissan P/N 54559-1Z600, Quantity: 4
Nut, Nissan P/N 08918-6441A, Quantity: 4

Here's the problem, though: if the bolt is seized, then it is seized to the metal sleeve inside the control arm bushing. This means the bolts will have to be cut out and in addition to the eccentric bolts, you will also need the control arms and the straight bolts for the front bushing of the front, rear suspension link.

Here's a diagram:

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... b6%3dSE%29

Thanks for that detailed info, sm... I have a follow-up question, however, which I also placed on the spare parts sticky, namely about required quantities:

55080-7S010
Bolt-Link, Rear Suspension
VQ40DE, VQ40DE + VK56DE 02 $7.75 $5.77
Submit
55080+A
54580-7S000
Bolt-Link, Rear Suspension
VQ40DE, VQ40DE + VK56DE 02 $23.89 $16.89

So for part number 54580-7S000, the required quantity is listed as only 2.

Does one therefore order also 2 quantities of part 55080-7S010?

This would total 4 altogether of that "bolt".

I just don't get it. Can somebody please clarify?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Okay, late me describe it this way:

Rear suspension, front control arm-If you are replacing all of the bolts, eccentrics and nuts on one control arm, you need the following:

54580-7S000 eccentric bolt (rear)
080B4-4001A control arm bolt (forward)
55479-7S010 shock absorber lower bolt
54559-1Z600 eccentric washer
Three of 08918-6441A nuts

If you are doing both rear suspension front control arms, double the amounts above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear suspension, rear control arm-If you are replacing all of the bolts, eccentrics and nuts on one control arm, you need the following:
55226-7S001 eccentric bolt
54559-1Z600 eccentric washer
55080-7S010 bolt
Two of 08918-6441A nuts

If you are doing both rear suspension rear control arms, double the amounts above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no alignment provisions on the rear suspension upper control arms, however, if the rear suspension upper control arm is to be replaced, one would need the following to do one arm (double quantity if doing both sides):
Two of 08918-6441A nuts
Two of 080B4-4001A bolts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a couple of notes: these part numbers may be superceded, meaning the part may be updated or sourced from a different supplier or for whatever reason, Nissan changed the part number. If you order the above numbers and they are superceded, the part catalog, whether at the dealership parts counter or the online site from which they are ordered, will automatically update them to the current part number.
When looking at Nissan part diagrams and there is a quantity given, it is usually a quantity amount of that part number per vehicle. For example, looking at the control arm bolts for the rear suspension upper control arms, they list 080B4-4001A (Qty. 4); there is a quantity of 4 of those bolts for this vehicle: two on the left side control arm and two on the right.

Hope this clears things for you.
Last edited by smj999smj on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoloVoyager

Postby SoloVoyager » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks very much, sm, for all that detailed info. I have a few follow-up questions, re the fact that those eccentric bolts are frozen in there. Earlier, you said: "...after cutting the eccentric bolts out...you will also need the control arms and the straight bolts for the front bushing of the front, rear suspension link.":

1) How many control arms are there?

2) What's the part number for these control arms?

3) How many straight bolts are there?

4) What's the part number for these straight bolts?

I may, indeed, need to get all these parts knowing my luck because the eccentric bolts might only be removable by cutting them out.

Cheers in advance for any info you good folks can provide,
SV

PS. No flaming please, folks, lol...I have done a BB search, but can't find info on this, and the diagrams seem quite complex to a non-techie/non-engineer person like myself.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I have provided the part numbers for the straight bolts in the bolt above. Those bolts with an eccentric washer are listed as "eccentric bolts" and those that are regular, straight bolts, are simply listed as "bolts." I listed all of the bolts required for each control arm.

There are three control arms for the rear suspension on each side. As mentioned, there is no alignment provision for the upper control arms, so unless it is damaged or the ball joint is bad, you likely won't need to replace them.

The front rear suspension control arms are the one to which the shock absorbers are attached; they are Nissan #551A0-EA500 and 551A1-EA500. On the aftermarket, Mevotech is the only one I know that sells them and you can get them at Rockauto.com. Depending on the shipping costs, they may or may not be cheaper than getting them from the dealer.
The rear rear control arms are the ones that hold the coil spring and they are the same part # on the left and right sides; you would need two of #551B0-EA500.
If for some reason you do need the upper control arms, they are #55501-EA500 and 55502-EA500.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Hey smj. Sorry to resurrect this 2 year old thread, but I'm encountering the same issue. I do plan to replace the 4 lower control arms just for their bushings. My bolts are seized into the bushings on both control arms on each side.

I have been looking at all the bolt part numbers, but I don't quite agree with one of the part numbers. When I look for it on courtesy parts I come up with this bolt. To me it looks like an eccentric bolt also. The diagram doesn't appear to have a bolt in the image as far as I can see. going through the front bushing on the front control arm. You list 3 bolts total for the front control arm. Is one of them supposed to be for the lower shock mount? Or perhaps the bolt that holds the ball joint in? You also say the eccentric bolts for the toe and camber eccentric bolts in the 2 control arms are the same, but the part numbers are different in the diagrams. I'm just confused.

Secondly, does anyone know if the front eccentric bolts you can get from rockauto, like these, will work on either rear control arm? They're supposed to for the front camber and caster.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 am

I would call Courtesy and talk to them. They'll have all the latest part numbers and be able to tell you what you need.

Just post back here with an update on what you find.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 pm

EvilTheCat wrote:Hey smj. Sorry to resurrect this 2 year old thread, but I'm encountering the same issue. I do plan to replace the 4 lower control arms just for their bushings. My bolts are seized into the bushings on both control arms on each side.

I have been looking at all the bolt part numbers, but I don't quite agree with one of the part numbers. When I look for it on courtesy parts I come up with this bolt. To me it looks like an eccentric bolt also. The diagram doesn't appear to have a bolt in the image as far as I can see. going through the front bushing on the front control arm. You list 3 bolts total for the front control arm. Is one of them supposed to be for the lower shock mount? Or perhaps the bolt that holds the ball joint in? You also say the eccentric bolts for the toe and camber eccentric bolts in the 2 control arms are the same, but the part numbers are different in the diagrams. I'm just confused.

Secondly, does anyone know if the front eccentric bolts you can get from rockauto, like these, will work on either rear control arm? They're supposed to for the front camber and caster.
This post was addressing the rear suspension bolts. Refer to my first posting in the sticky for the front suspension bolts:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11989

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Sun May 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the link to the front suspension bolts SMJ. I don't need that though. I am asking about the rear end. The reason I asked about that part was because rockauto doesn't offer any rear suspension eccentric bolts. When I search part numbers on courtesynissan or nissanpartsdeal they appear to be the same eccentric bolt for front and back.

I did call courtesy and they were very helpful. I did however have a little trouble getting them to ship my parts. I called 4 days after ordering and the guys refunded me $25 because they had not yet shipped the stuff even though it was all there. I didn't ask him for the actual part numbers, but I will post them up as soon as my stuff arrives.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 07, 2017 4:58 pm

The eccentric bolts are the same for the front as the rear. Again, from the first post in my "sticky":

"FYI, the same part numbers are used if you should need to replace the camber and/or toe adjustment bolts on the rear suspension."

The aftermarket kit "would" work, I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend them for the front nor the rear. The Nissan bolts are made much better and have one eccentric intergral of the bolt, whereas the aftermarket kits simply have a bolt with a flat side and both eccentrics, which are thinner than the factory units, slide on the bolt. You're best off spending a little more and getting the better quality, Nissan bolts. And, again, this is refering to V6 models.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 am

After having installed the Moog eccentric bolts in the rear I definitely agree with you. The disks are roughly the same thickness, but are apparently not hardened because the bolt gouged the disks pretty badly during adjustment. Plus the bolts were too long for the rear. I ended up adding 2 washers just to keep the nut from bottoming out. Piss poor quality and fitment for a Moog product. I'm highly disappointed. That's what I get trying to save money. I'm going to get some actual Nissan bolts to replace them.

nannook

Postby nannook » Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am

Go with the Nissan eccentric bolts. I used them on the front and then decided to do the rear with no issues. Everything aligned up to factory specs with the lift afterwards.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Pathfan

Postby Pathfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi, I greatly appreciate SMJ and all his valuable information that he posts everywhere on this site. Also appreciate all others that have shared information.

I’m trying to get all the correct parts for replacing the 4 lower rear control arms for my mechanic. I have all the control arms (Mevotech). Also ordered the bolts, washers and nuts using SMJ’s bolt list.

However, one of the bolts on list seems to be incorrect. The eccentric bolt with part number 55226-7S001 is too short for application for the Forward Rear Suspension Control Arm. Also, the list mentions a regular bolt 54580-7S000 but, it is an eccentric bolt.

Anyways does anyone know the correct part number for the regular bolt for the Forward Rear Suspension Control Arm?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 am

Pathfan wrote:Hi, I greatly appreciate SMJ and all his valuable information that he posts everywhere on this site. Also appreciate all others that have shared information.

I’m trying to get all the correct parts for replacing the 4 lower rear control arms for my mechanic. I have all the control arms (Mevotech). Also ordered the bolts, washers and nuts using SMJ’s bolt list.

However, one of the bolts on list seems to be incorrect. The eccentric bolt with part number 55226-7S001 is too short for application for the Forward Rear Suspension Control Arm. Also, the list mentions a regular bolt 54580-7S000 but, it is an eccentric bolt.

Anyways does anyone know the correct part number for the regular bolt for the Forward Rear Suspension Control Arm?
I went back and took a look at it and changed it (Thanks for pointing it out!). The short bolt is the lower bolt of the shock absorber. They don't show the bolt in the front on the part diagram, but it should be the same as the ones for the upper arm, 080B4-4001A. So, the hardware for the rear suspension, front/lower control arm should be as follows:

54580-7S000 eccentric bolt (the rear bolt)
54559-1Z600 eccentric disc
080B4-4001A control arm bolt (the front bolt)
55479-7S010 lower shock absorber bolt
08918-6441A nuts (three needed)

Sorry for the mix-up!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”