New member, have searched, has questions

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

dmchan

New member, have searched, has questions

Postby dmchan » Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 pm

I pulled the trigger on a '12 silver edition yesterday. I'm not quite in love yet but I'm working on it.

First order of business is figuring out how to open the lift gate from inside since I'll be camping in it a bunch.

Searching hasn't led me where I need to be, so... Has anyone hacked the lift gate controls for an interior switch? Or perhaps know where I can find wiring diagrams to identify the necessary circuits?
I'm a gearhead and a resourceful hacker so I'm not worried I can't get it done but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Any help is appreciated!

dmchan

Postby dmchan » Sun May 21, 2017 6:37 am

For anyone looking in the future, pull open the liftgate panel. That's 2 7mm bolts in the driver side cutaway with the buckle straps and one 10mm bolt on the bottom edge recessed in the hand hold. Then the rest is secured with typical body panel fasteners that pop in and out.

You'll find a sheath with 2 blue wires, center of the lift gate, coming from the button to a wire harness.

The button is not powered. It simply completes the circuit and triggers the release mechanism. I cut the two blue wires and spliced in a lead wire off each. I will grab a switch today and find a good place to install it.
Tested as is with no issues.

If in feeling particularly fancy I'll post pics later.

dmchan

Postby dmchan » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 am

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”