driver window not working

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Wes

driver window not working

Postby Wes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 am

Fortunately the window is stuck in the Up position. I went to "roll" the window down and nothing. All other windows work fine. I have read about resetting the limit switch, but that doesn't seem be an issue since the window won't come down. Where do you start troubleshooting?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:02 am

You could pull the door panel and apply power and ground to the window motor from an alternate source to see if it goes down, to check for a bad power window motor; alternating the ground and power wires should cause the window to go up or down, respectively. If it doesn't move, try banging on the motor a few times. If that doesn't work, you'll need a new motor. If the motor works when testing in the above fashion and the rest of the windows work okay, you likely have a bad switch...but "could" have a broken wire between the motor and switch, which usually occurs where the harness flexes between the door and the body.

Wes

Postby Wes » Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am

I am still living with this window problem. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It was stuck down the other day and I pull the door panel and the switches down to the circuit board. Activating the switch and banging the hell out of the door where the motor sits made the window go up. Doesn't work every time, but it did then. Sometimes slamming the door helps. I went to junk yard and go a new door switch from the same model. Everything seems to work but the same window so I suspect it is not the switch or circuit part there. The motor seems to work fine sometimes as well. I wouldn't think the mechanical motor would fail sometimes and not others so that leaves finding the wiring problem? That doesn't look fun.

How do you apply power from a separate source to the window motor? How do you know which wires in the harness are for that particular window?

Wes

Postby Wes » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

Also, When the window does work and it goes up as soon as it hits the top it goes down again. Then I click to make it go up and then it comes back down like the auto up and auto down are fighting it out. I suppose there is a sensor somewhere that is messed up. To get it to stop you have to raise the window in small increments until you eventually get to the top.

Wes

Postby Wes » Mon May 15, 2017 7:10 pm

I think I have narrowed it down to the connector that connects the motor to the rest of the wiring harness that also connects the mirror and lock and runs back inside the car. If I try and operate the window and it doesn't work and then I twist and fiddle with that harness it will work. The question now is do I replace the entire motor? Is it hardwired to the motor? If anyone has answers to these questions please jump in. Also it still shoots back down a quarter of the way when it hits the top of the door frame.

Wes

Postby Wes » Tue May 16, 2017 6:32 am

So I fixed the limit switch problem. Turns out there is a reset button right in front of your face inside the door. I thought it was just a rubber bumper. You can reset the limit switch by holding the switch, rolling down the window (don't use the auto mode), release the switch and roll it back up without using the auto feature. Now it should work.

Now to tend to that pesky harness. I guess I am going to have to get a new motor.

Wes

Postby Wes » Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 am

I ended up messing around with the harness that connects the motor to the rest of the wiring and figured out that if it was set in a certain way it works fine. So I set it that way, taped the hell out of it and put it back together. Works fine so far. had to make a new water shield out of a couple of trash bags. So far so good.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”