New Wheels, Tires, Fender Mods, Bilstein 2" Lift Instal

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

MarkSheriff

New Wheels, Tires, Fender Mods, Bilstein 2" Lift Instal

Postby MarkSheriff » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 pm

alright guys im here to share my build with you and explain some troubles i went through along the way.

can a moderator please correct my typo in the title and add the missing L to "install" tried correcting it myself but it wont change.

had major fender rubbing, but got it to work with some good fender work/ melt mod alternatives.

parts list:
Falken wildpeak at3w 275/70/18
bilstein 5100 front struts
bilstein 4600 heavy duty 2wd 2" lift struts in rear
rancho spring spacers in rear
ATX Series AX201 18x9 6x114.3 +0mm 5" Backspace

ride height front and rear 37.5" measured from floor to fender right above the tire

wheels and tires mounted before the lift:
Imagebefore lift by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

wheel rub:
Imagerub by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

more wheel rub:
Imagerub pass by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

starting with fender liner mods (this was done before the lift):
Imageedit1 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

Imageedit2 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

Imageedit3 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

Lift parts came in:
ImageIMG_4315 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

compressing oem coil to place onto new bilstein:
ImageIMG_4417 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

coil and strut assembled and installed:
ImageIMG_4420 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

turns out that the oem struts were bad, all 4 of the oem struts that i pulled out would compress but not come back up, and one of the struts on the front compress and also took a piss on my garage floor...
ImageIMG_4421 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

new rear strut installed, forgot to take pics as i installed the rancho spring spacers. plan to do a good cleaning of the suspension here later on also:
ImageIMG_4423 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

so the lift was installed and i still had rubbing on the rear of the wheel well...back to some fender work:
Image1 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

this is the area behind the fender liner that i marked and cut out, i used a dremel and cut out this much of the fender which allowed the wheels to turn and not be held back by the metal of the fender which was right behind the liner:
Image2 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

after the cut:
Image3 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

you cant really tell any of this was done once the wheel is back on:
Image4 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

amount of fender material cut out... id say im track ready with these kinds of weight savings lol:
ImageIMG_4465 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

amount of wheel poke:
ImageIMG_4453 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

end result:
ImageIMG_4500 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4492 by Mark Sheriff, on Flickr
Last edited by MarkSheriff on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:01 am

Nice work, looks great. I've been looking at installing Bilstein's and have a few questions if you don't mind.

I see that the 5100's are adjustable from 0"-2". Is the strut stiffness the same at 0" and 2"?

With the spacers in the rear, are you using the full maxed out adjustment of the front struts in order to level it out? In your pictures, it looks like you're leveled out pretty well from front to back and don't have much forward "rake".

Is there a specific reason why you went with rear spacers instead of rear lift coil springs? Could be that you didn't need to replace the coil springs at all. Unfortunately, I need to replace mine so I guess I have two options.

Bilstein 4600 shocks and:
Option 1. Moog OEM replacement coil springs ($75) and Rancho Spacers ($79) Totalling $154
Option 2. 4x4parts.com Rear lift coils $165

What do you think?

Thats a lot of questions, haha. Thanks.

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:59 pm

That looks bad ass!

I just ordered some procomp Series 98 wheels for mine. I have a 2" lift also. Rancho quicklift up front and bilstein and rancho spacers in the rear with airlift.

The procomp should give a bit more poke. Well see in a week or two.

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 pm

@flat6symphony
1)i couldn't tell you if the strut stiffness is different at the different height levels because i initially set mine to 2" and installed it that way and i love the ride, so smooth.
2)yes my front 5100's are maxed at 2" and im pretty spot on level in the front and rear ride height 37.5" from the floor to the fender right above the tire.
3)well i had done a lot of reading and research on the forum and i found that many people who used lift coils had alignment problems for some reason? i don't understand why and i would like to know. so to be safe i just got the rancho coil spacers and rides real nice in the back. i would have preferred a whole new coil but i did not want to risk alignment problems. if someone knows more about this, please explain.
4)moog is good stuff so that coil with the rancho spacer should be good, as for the 4x4 parts lift coils i have no experience with and i would like to know if they are good myself.

also, how did you know you need new coils in the rear?

@DiBo
thanks man, would love to see yours when its done, how is the rancho quicklift up front performing for you?

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:15 pm

@DiBo
thanks man, would love to see yours when its done, how is the rancho quicklift up front performing for you?

Yeah, the wheels come in on Friday at 4wheelparts in Edmonton. Can't wait.
What is the specs on your wheels? Back space size and offset? That stance is awesome. I just wish I could get new tires right away, gonna have to throw the old ones on for a while until the new season or taxes or something, lol.

I'll throw up a picture on this thread when I get em on.

Again man, good job!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 am

Very nice looks badass with those wheels.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 am

8) Great work. Looks great!!! :shock:

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:51 pm

@DiBo
wheel specs: ATX Series AX201 18x9 6x114.3 +0mm 5" Backspace
at least you can use your stock tires temporarily, i had no choice but to get new tires because my oem wheel size is 16" lol

@FLiPMaRC, Thupertrooper
thanks for the comments guys

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:12 pm

The ones I got on order are Pro Comp 98-6868. They have 4.5 bs and - 6 offset. Wonder how much they will poke out. I'd say only a little.

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:45 am

DiBo wrote:The ones I got on order are Pro Comp 98-6868. They have 4.5 bs and - 6 offset. Wonder how much they will poke out. I'd say only a little.
depends on what your oem wheel offset was, mine was 30mm and i went to 0mm so thats 55mm (2.2") of poke

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Very nice setup. Clean install as well.
That wheel poke would get me in trouble here. Love how it looks though.

Tail__gunner

Postby Tail__gunner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Very clean. I will be putting 285 75 R17 on mine in a few months. Plan to do the 2" lift with spacers as well front and rear.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”