How to Black Out Trim with Paint instead of Plasti-Dip

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

kevinthefro

How to Black Out Trim with Paint instead of Plasti-Dip

Postby kevinthefro » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Last edited by kevinthefro on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

very nice masking job! :D

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:44 am

Looking good! Now you just need to black out the headlight internals.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:51 am

I was wondering if that could be done...

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-08-12-Pathf ... 543afa2ea6

I have those on mine right now but one of them has an internal condensation issue. Looks great but is annoying - this can be resolved by simply taking off the rubber cap/seal that surrounds the back of the headlight bulb and throwing a Silica Gel packet down in there to absorb the moisture.

Otherwise you can do it yourself.. I'm in the process of retrofitting projectors into mine. sorry for the big picture. the silver reflectors look better in person, they're all dusty in the picture.

Image[/img]

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

My Pathfinder is silver by the way.. hence the silver side markers. I painted them to color match. Nice roof basket btw I've got the same one :twisted:

I've tinted my tail lights as well. I'll upload pics later to show you. It'd look good on yours it makes them a darker shade of red or you could go black if you wanted.

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 am

Heres a pic of the aftermarket headlights you can get from that ebay link above sorry its a bad pic im at work

VHT NiteShade tinted tails for reference:

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Very nice!
I'll definitely do the headlights.
As soon as I get out of this delivery room.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Very clean paint job! But why didn't you just take the badges off with dental wire? Probably quicker than masking like that.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:04 pm

SETI20 wrote: But why didn't you just take the badges off with dental wire? Probably quicker than masking like that.
I considered that approach, but while removing the badges like that is quick, removing the adhesive tape from the car is not so quick and removing the adhesive from the badges, cutting new bits of adhesive tape and lining all those letters up straight would have been ten times the work and not looked as clean.

Another option is to order new badges (which come with adhesive tape already), paint them offline and replace them. That would have made the painting itself easier, but I think would have been a similar amount of time as painting them on the car. Plus I unexpectedly had last weekend free and I would have had to wait a week for new badges to arrive as well as spend another hundred dollars.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”