Starts Missing after Fully Warmed Up

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Spokane95PU

Starts Missing after Fully Warmed Up

Postby Spokane95PU » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi All,
My '95 V6 runs fine when starting with a very cool engine. Can generally drive 45 minutes to work just fine, too. However, 20 minutes into drive home on a warm afternoon and it starts to miss. The miss gets more prominent with time. CEL comes on, too. Computer code says injectors. (Code 51, for Injector Circuit, as I recall.) I'm prepared to replace one or all injectors if necessary.
However, before I do that, reading a variety of blogs with similar description problems, they all say they replaced distributor to solve. (My distributor CAP is in good shape; not too sure about distributor itself.)

Anyone else had these symptoms, and what was the issue?

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Distributor failure is very common on VG engines with over 100,000 miles on them, be it for the sensor failing inside or for the shaft bearing going bad. That said, they usually trigger an ignition system trouble code, rather than a fuel injector code, so, it's hard to say if that's your problem or not. A fuel injector, or injectors, can fail as they get hot, just like a distributor does. VG fuel injectors have been known to fail or get dirty and require a profession fuel injection service, like those offered by 3M or BG that run the engine off of a tank of solvent that cleans the injectors. A year ago, I purchased a 200+ thousand mile, 2003 Frontier with a VG33ER engine and a failed #5 fuel injector. Since I was replacing the plugs and wires, anyway, I decided to replace all of the fuel injectors with a set of AUS remans from Advance Auto with a 30% off code.
If it were mine, I would perform the diagnostic steps for a code 51-fuel injector fault as stated in the factory service manual for your vehicle. It's better to perform the diagnostics first than just drop several hundred dollars on a distributor that may not be bad. Also, reman Nissan distributors on the aftermarket aren't always the best and are not nearly as good as the genuine Nissan remans.

Spokane95PU

Postby Spokane95PU » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:16 am

SMJ, Thx! Think I'll follow your recommendation. (Good post, BTW.)

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”