Turbocharged Pathfinder

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

inhenceAY13

Turbocharged Pathfinder

Postby inhenceAY13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Has anyone installed a turbocharger on their 2006 Pathfinder? I am looking for ways to draw the intercooler piping because I can't seem to find any room to do so. Is there anywhere I can buy a manifold, or do I have to fabricate it myself? Thanks in advance

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Most usually supercharge the VQ40DE. Stillen made a kit for it that comes with everything you need, including the ECM. It runs about $5000, maybe a little less, the last time I looked into one.

inhenceAY13

Postby inhenceAY13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 pm

I really don't want to spend that much... I'll just wait for it to get here and post pics once it's done... hopefully lol

Lord Farquaad

Re: Turbocharged Pathfinder

Postby Lord Farquaad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 am

inhenceAY13 wrote:Has anyone installed a turbocharger on their 2006 Pathfinder? I am looking for ways to draw the intercooler piping because I can't seem to find any room to do so. Is there anywhere I can buy a manifold, or do I have to fabricate it myself? Thanks in advance
Mine came standard with a turbocharger. :D

Intercooler in front of radiator. You want me to post pics of it?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:44 am

Lord Farquaad wrote:
inhenceAY13 wrote:Has anyone installed a turbocharger on their 2006 Pathfinder? I am looking for ways to draw the intercooler piping because I can't seem to find any room to do so. Is there anywhere I can buy a manifold, or do I have to fabricate it myself? Thanks in advance
Mine came standard with a turbocharger. :D

Intercooler in front of radiator. You want me to post pics of it?
I'm assuming your Pathy has a diesel? We don't have the diesel in North America, so I'm assuming he's trying to turbo the VQ40DE..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 am

There's a lot more "chatter" in the Frontier forums in regards to potentially turbocharging the 4.0L-VQ. Most of them talk about using a twin-turbo kit designed for a 350Z, but the 4.0L had a taller deck height, so spacers would be needed to fit the 3.5L intake manifold onto the 4.0L and the pipes wouldn't fit, so that leads to a lot of fab work. As mentioned, there really isn't any room for an intercooler. The other issue is doing this and still getting it all to fit under the hood. Most seem to put the cost pretty close to the $5000 range, anyway, so it really doesn't make much sense to do all the fab work and modification to install a turbo system when an already made supercharger kit is already available that cuts out a lot of the headache and puts out pretty good performance. I know turbochargers and superchargers aren't the same, but each has its benefits and compromises. Since superchargers tend to be better on the torque side of the equation, it would make more sense in an application like a 4000+ pound Pathfinder, IMO.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:53 am

Just find one with the V8!

inhenceAY13

Postby inhenceAY13 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:21 am

Yeah, I have the 4.0 VQ. I'm getting a pretty decent brand new kit for around $1k, but I'm going to have to cut and reverse weld one of the manifolds so it points up and weld a T4 flange for the turbo. I have all of that set, but I'm waiting for the intercooler to come in so I can see how I can manage to place it. There's plenty of room under the hood for the turbo and manifold, but nowhere to run the piping from the intercooler. I might have to add in some twists and turns. I'll keep you guys updated. Thank you for the replies.

Lord Farquaad

Postby Lord Farquaad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 pm

smj999smj wrote:
I'm assuming your Pathy has a diesel? We don't have the diesel in North America, so I'm assuming he's trying to turbo the VQ40DE..
I made the same assumption, hence the smiley. 8)

Anyway, was serious about the mounting of the intercooler. Look at in front of the radiator. You should be able to fit a standard Dci IC in there, using the Dci plumbing routes. Worth a shot.

Return to “R51 General Chat”