Steering knuckle to lower ball joint issue - won't seat

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

SmearResistant

Steering knuckle to lower ball joint issue - won't seat

Postby SmearResistant » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Long time lurker - this has been a *great* resource - but now I need help (hope to repay one day!)

Replaced upper and lower ball joints - both pressed in fine and installed c-clips.

I have reinstalled the steering knuckle, however I cannot get the lower ball joint stud to pull all of the way through so that I can install the pinch bolt.

I've tried striking upwards with a rubber mallet, and putting a jack under the LCA and raising, and then striking the side of the LCA. But I remain 3-5 millimeters out - I can see the outer edge of the groove on the stud when I look through the pinch bolt hole in the knuckle.

What started out as an optimistic 3-4 hour job has taken all day...and the passenger side awaits.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be extremely greatfull!

Thanks!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Since the ball joint stud is new it might be a tight fit so might need to clean out any burrs. Before you try to install the bolt you must see if the stud has gone far inside the knuckle.

SmearResistant

Postby SmearResistant » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 am

Thupertrooper wrote:Since the ball joint stud is new it might be a tight fit so might need to clean out any burrs. Before you try to install the bolt you must see if the stud has gone far inside the knuckle.
Thanks Thupertrooper - where would I find burrs? I cleaned the stud hole on the knuckle to get all of the grime and grit out of it, but the stud only wants to go ~90% in - I can see half of groove on the stud when I look through the pinch bolt hole - it just won't finish going in.

SmearResistant

Postby SmearResistant » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am

SmearResistant wrote:
Thupertrooper wrote:Since the ball joint stud is new it might be a tight fit so might need to clean out any burrs. Before you try to install the bolt you must see if the stud has gone far inside the knuckle.
Thanks Thupertrooper - where would I find burrs? I cleaned the stud hole on the knuckle to get all of the grime and grit out of it, but the stud only wants to go ~90% in - I can see half of groove on the stud when I look through the pinch bolt hole - it just won't finish going in.
Got it! Put jack under the steering knuckle and lifted it up - a couple of taps with the rubber mallet on the lower control arm and it all lined up.

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the tip! I'll be doing my lower control arms next week, I am sure I'll face the same issue. :-)

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 am

SmearResistant wrote:
SmearResistant wrote:
Got it! Put jack under the steering knuckle and lifted it up - a couple of taps with the rubber mallet on the lower control arm and it all lined up.
Awesome glad you got it.

SmearResistant

Postby SmearResistant » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 pm

evgenk wrote:Thanks for the tip! I'll be doing my lower control arms next week, I am sure I'll face the same issue. :-)
You're welcome - glad I could give back. Good luck!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”