Loud air cond. (clutch fan) noise...always?!!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

squarebody

Loud air cond. (clutch fan) noise...always?!!

Postby squarebody » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Just got a nice 2006 pathfinder. Is it normal to have that loud clutch fan noise (like an air cond. under your hood) always running, even at cold start up? I went to a dealer and they said yes, that is totally normal for that generation. Thanks..

HiBRiD109

Postby HiBRiD109 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Mine is loud for the first 2 seconds at start up then goes fairly quiet. As said in the attached link, it's fairly common for the fan clutch to go bad. It is best replaced with the Nissan part and not aftermarket.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=fan

bambox

Postby bambox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am

I pm'ed a friend of mine on skype that is driving this model and yeah, it's loud but only at the beginning just like the user above me said. He is soon to get a deal on DSRLeasing though so maybe he will post his baby on sale here.

squarebody

Postby squarebody » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, perhaps it could be running normal. I don't know much about foreign modern vehicles. I'm a classic American car/truck guy. The Pathfinder was passed down from family. However, we really like it, lots of room, 4x4, heavy duty hitch, ac works great, no rust--no complaints. As far as the fan clutch, I'm going to check with several dealerships and see if they all say the same thing. Research!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm a former Nissan Master Tech and own a 2006 Pathfinder. It's normal to hear the mechanical fan for about 10-20 seconds when you first start it, but, it should go quite after that. If it always sounds like an old airplane under the hood, then replace the fan clutch assembly using a genuine Nissan part. The aftermarket fan clutches have had a lot of issues.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”