Unable to diagnose 2001 LE/Dangerous as hell

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

tee

Unable to diagnose 2001 LE/Dangerous as hell

Postby tee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Greetings,
I would like to start from the beginning, so that I can try to fully explain what is happening, and what I have tried to solve the problems.
I purchased a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, last Friday, from a private seller. The guy lived about 2 miles from the Nissan dealership, so before I cut him a check, I drove the vehicle over there, and had a used vehicle inspection performed. Nothing came back, on their scanners. and the only real negative comments were that the A/C needs to be recharged, and that there was a hole in the left tire.
So, feeling confident, I drove the car back to the sellers house, and made the purchase. As a side note, this thing looks brand new. Not a single dent, or scratched interior. Moving on.
1-The next day, I was pulling out of the drive way, and heard what sounded like a quick, loud vibrating sound, from the front of the Pathfinder. I did not have any problems for the rest of the day.
2-Day two, I was driving around, and had to come to quick/sudden stop, from about 20mph. The car came to a complete stop just fine, but as soon as it did, the engine also shut off. I was able to turn the key, and it started up just fine.
3-The following day, I was backing out of my space, at the Home Depot parking lot, and as soon as I switched over to drive, the car started bucking back and fourth, kind of accelerating, then slowing down on it's own. When I would apply the brakes, they did not work....at all. I had to dodge a few abandoned carts, but luckily was able to avoid hitting anything. After a few seconds, the car started performing just fine. My first thought, was that the tranny was starting to crap out on me. I left the parking lot, and drove it over to a shop that specializes in transmission work. The guy got in there with his machines, and not a single error code was coming back. He told me that the transmission actually in great health. He even test drove it, for thirty minutes and didn't notice a single thing out of place.
At this point, I drove it down the street a few miles, and brought it to a different mechanic. He was trying to ind out what the problem was, test drove it, ran his tests, tested the engine, couldn't find a single thing wrong. He then told me it may be my ABS system, or a dirty throttle body. After giving him the green light, he cleaned my throttle body, and checked my ABS. ABS was working fine, with no issues. After replacing the air filter for good measure, I hoped for the best, and left. Car ran smooth, all the way to the car wash. After leaving the car wash, I didn't want to streak my windows, so I turned on the AC. Two blocks later, the damn thing started bucking all over again, and refused to come to a stop at a red light. After a very close encounter with a truck, I managed to pull over, turn off the AC, and the car, and called the NIssan dealership service center. I explained the problems that I was having, and told them everything that I have had checked, and the wonderful reply that I got, was pretty much, ''you checked everything we would check, don't know what to tell ya.''
Being frustrated as hell, I turned the car back on, and was able to take off. As I was driving I realized that I had not turned the AC back on. On the car ride back home, I really thought about what had been going on, and I realized that every single time the car was bucking, or refused to stop, or would shut off by itself, the AC was on. HOWEVER, the car still makes that loud vibrating noise, from time to time, after being put in reverse, then being put in drive.
The ride home was fine, and I thought that I had at least found the culprit, being the AC, but then later on that night, I pulled out of the drive way, (The AC had been off, since the car wash incident) and when I put the car into drive, another car was coming down the road, so I had to apply my brakes, before the other guy passed me. The was working fine, but then as soon I saw that guy coming, and applied the brakes, it was as if I had my foot on the gas, and the bakes at the same time. I had my foot on the brakes and thats it, but this thing was still revvin up. The Pathfinder had some Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to it. Part of it wanted to take off like a bat out of hell, ad the other side, wanted to stay put. I made a U-turn put that cursed beast back in the driveway and haven't gotten in it since.
I know I typed a lot, I'm just hoping someone could help me make some sense of this jacked up situation. Every car that I've had in the past, that would either have the same issues, or similar issues, I knew what was going on. But this thing, I just don't get it. To make it even worse, my mechanics, and the dealership, don't get it either.

>Vibration noises, while switching gears, but two independent mechanics and the NIssan service center, ran their tests with no errors.(only when first turning the car on, and if I back up, the put the car in drive)

Probems:

>Car has turned off, after slamming on the brakes, from 20mph.

.>When the AC is on, the car starts bucking down the road, and the brakes completely fail.

>Sometimes, while applying the brakes, and the brakes only, the car will stop, but as soon as it does, that engine will start to rev at a high rate. You have a feeling that this thing is about to take off on you. (even with the AC off)

>While backing up, and changing gears, there is a quick vibration noise/jolt from the front, but only after the car is started for the first time. If I were driving around, then put the car in reverse, then back in drive, the noise isn't there. IF I get in, turn it on, THEN back up>put in drive, that noise will be present.

Things I have tried:
>Had the dealership run a used car inspection, including engine, and transmission test. No errors.
>Had it inspected by a transmission specialty shop. No errors.
>Had a private mechanic test the engine, ABS, clean the throttle body, and replace the air filter.
> From what I understand, it's not my
-Throttle body
-Idle control valve
-spark plugs
-transmisson
'-engine
-ABS system.
Besides that, this thing looks brand new. Unfortunately, at this point, it's a giant ass beautiful paper weight.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”