Unknown Antifreeze/Coolant Connector part

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

flat6symphony

Unknown Antifreeze/Coolant Connector part

Postby flat6symphony » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Hey guys,

My wrench slipped on a stubborn bolt and my fist went into this antifreeze/coolant line connector thing and broke it. Coolant flew out of it...

Here a picture of the part, its the black plastic piece at the end of the hose. If anybody knows what this is called and can provide a part number that would be much appreciated.

Feel free to laugh at me. haha

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Within the red box is the sheard peice of plastic that inserts into the hose.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:10 pm

It's Nissan P/N: 92408-ZL90B. It comes as an assembly referred to as the "hose assembly-heater." See link:

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... =STD;6=SE)

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:46 pm

Ouch... I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the entire assembly. $200 wrench slip. Huge bummer.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:25 pm

It's not the first one I've seen break. The plastic gets brittle over time with all the heat in the engine compartment and the coolant constantly running through it.

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Yep it was definitely brittle. I bumped it pretty good with my fist and it snapped right off. I was in the process of removing the bolts from the bracket that supports the intake plenum in order to access the spark plugs. I followed the V6 Spark Plug DIY guide and it went smoothly. Like you mentioned in that thread, using various extensions/universals would work without having to remove the intake plenum. Wish I went this route...

Once you said that it was the "hose assembly-heater" I searched the forum for this and it's obvious that you have answered this question many times before!

I worked on a temporary fix to get myself through the week while I wait for the new part to come in. I also found some oil in the spark plug cylinder on the passenger side closest to the firewall so I am planning on replacing the valve cover at the same time. Unfortunately, when you have 175k miles on a vehicle some jobs tend to turn into bigger jobs.

Thanks again for the help!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Yeah, I though about suggesting to try and repair it with some J.B. Weld epoxy, but, I'd hate to see the repair not work and leave you stranded somewhere.

Brmadsenad

Same problem, similar fix (photos)

Postby Brmadsenad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am

2008 SE dumped coolant all over road, fortunately close to home.

Found the same broken connector. In attempt to diagnose problem further, went to remove the hose that comes up and out of assembly, broke the nipple holding that one in place, too.

Faced with a $250 part, plus time for delivery and repair, I decided to try fixing the connections myself. There are some other sites where people have done the same. I used a 1/2' to 5/8' coupler/connecton, cut off the smaller side, and used JB Plastic weld to glue the horizontal piece in place. Similarly, used a 3/8" to 1/2" for the vertical piece.

Here is the fix without the hoses attached.

https://goo.gl/photos/jwWkK272sHFmu4mE7

Now I am debating whether to stick with this fix or buy the part. It can be found for $200 on ebay, new and OEM. Such a pathetically weak failure point. Part of me wants to cut the metal pipes and rebuild the junctions just with hose and t-connectors. I think it would be stronger, seriously.

I'll add a photo of the finished fix later.

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:52 am

I couldn't bring myself to pay 300 bucks for plastic fittings and tubing. I removed the stock TEE and aluminum tubing(cut the rubber hose just before the start of the tubing). Bought a TEE at Napa which was universal it could accept 5/8 heater hose or 3/4 inch hose and two splices to connect the 5/8 heater hose( near the bottom of the engine bay where i cut it just before it went into the aluminum tubing and over by the master cylinder) I did have to buy I think 3 feet of 5/8 heater hose to replace the aluminum tubing that was cut out. But the fix is way stronger than stock and cost me less that 25 bucks.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... 1VfjuSNDHB

GreyR51

Same

Postby GreyR51 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm

I done the same thing today. Was working on the fix to get me thru the week.... the whole peice broke. Bummer. Ordered the part today. Hurt my soul,lol. You would think you could just buy the plastic piece.

DirtDgr

Postby DirtDgr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:10 am

Mine just broke! But it was the drivers side top hose. Looks like it is glued in piece originally. Going to try JB weld see if I can get a couple days out of it while I wait for parts.

DirtDgr

Postby DirtDgr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:57 am

Couldn't wait. Have to get wife to work. Bought the part at the local dealer (1 1/2 hour drive) $290!

My JB weld fix worked good. Strongest part on there now. But the part that broke on mine was a previously glued on from the factory I think. So it broke nice and even and flat. Easy to clean and sand a little.

I took it on. Took a few hours. 7-10:30 at night.

Worst part was getting the old stuff off. The hose clamp on the bottom inside is tough to get to and very hard to get an angle on the squeeze. Remove the passenger tire to get in there. It's a pain to work with the fender well plastic in the way. But I had help holding out of the way. Might be easier to remove it too. I got big arms and hands. Not good for this job!

Removing the piece that actually broke? Easy as the whole thing practically fell apart. Barely pulling and trying to save it all, it was not possible. The plastic just crumbled. If you haven't replaced this yet you better do it! Just a matter of time before you or the wife are left stranded!

Pain in the butt job. But I would do it again if I had to.

dkylep

Postby dkylep » Tue May 29, 2018 11:29 am

2007 Pathfinder with 180k miles.
Mine just broke while driving seems to be a common problem.
Dropped it off at mechanic after rigging something temporary.
$280 part with $170 labor!

avx

Postby avx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:13 pm

I had a call from my wife this weekend of the Pathfinder blowing white smoke out the engine. Low and behold I find the same this you guys have in this thread. Well at least its not something more serious like a blown head gasket or something.

Return to “R51 General Chat”