2000 High Idle, Jerking, Now Not Starting

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

andjamliving

2000 High Idle, Jerking, Now Not Starting

Postby andjamliving » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Hey everybody. This is my first post on this forum. I've been lurking on here for a few months for how-tos and the like, and I am finally at a loss.

Backstory... I bought this 2000 Pathfinder for $150 from a co-worker. At the time, it was running on 5 cylinders. Turns out the cylinder 2 injector was bad, so I got to pull the intake plenum and replace that. The thing has 255k miles (3k I have put on).

Since then, I've been having some issues with a weird idle. It would idle high (900RPM when in gear) and jerk a bit every few seconds when warm. It finally stalled in a drive-through, so I decided I should probably address it.

The following have been done:

Replace plugs & plug wires
Replace intake plenum gasket
Replace air intake boot to throttle body
Replace throttle body gasket
Replace fuel pressure regulator (vacuum line smelled like gas)
Inspect and replace vacuum lines as necessary
Clean throttle body, intake plenum, and EGR valve

Yesterday and today was the plugs and wires, gaskets, and fuel pressure regulator. I drove it to work, and it idled even higher than it did before. Also it felt like a misfire a few times when under higher throttle, but no codes have been thrown.

It stalled pulling out of a parking space when warm. Then it stalled pulling into another space.

After a half day at work, I drove it ~30 minutes to a store (putting it in park when stopped to prevent stalling). I left it for about 20 minutes in the parking lot, started it, backed out, and it stalled. I couldn't get it started again for another 5 minutes or so.

Then I managed to drive it another 5 minutes, where it stalled again on a train track, thankfully in motion, and I was able to coast it around the corner. From there I could not get it to start again. I had it towed home.

So... Issues with the plug change - whoever changed the plugs beforehand used a random assortment of plugs, and they didn't clean up before they installed them. There was a bunch of grit embedded in the plug threads when I removed them.

I know it's not the fast idle valve, as I disconnected the cam.

I'm just about going crazy trying to figure out this stupid thing. No engine codes, no lights, just running like crap. I'm just about ready to sell it to someone with more time. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”