Bad tires?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Bad tires?

Postby DanJetta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Has anyone else gotten a bad set of tires recently? I got a set of Michelins that were out of round (all four), a set of Firestones that have "too much RoadForce to be balanced," and a GoodYear replacement on my wife's Infiniti that was defective – all in a matter of two months, all from different locations.

Suspension and wheels are all fine, according to three inspections.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 pm

That's crazy! You should stay away from tire shops you are cursed! ..lol

I was talking to the owner of a tire shop in my area and he says he has more returns with major brand tires then he does with his second tier discount brand.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 am

Ha! I definitely feel cursed.

You're lucky to have a shop that'll admit tires can be defective. When I suggest to my tire shops that the tires are defective, they look at me like I have three heads. I had to fight the guy at Pep Boys to even test drive the car.

Me: "The car vibrates violently at 50 MPH."
Pep Boys Manager: "My tech drove it through the parking lot and didn't feel anything."
Me: "I'm impressed he got up to 50 MPH in the parking lot."
Manager: "He didn't, but they can't be bad––they're our best brand."

I had to take them to a RoadForce shop, who gave me a printout saying all four tires are out of round.

Same thing with the Firestones. After four attempts at balancing, he blamed my brakes. I demanded a new set and, bam, fixed.

In general, it's nearly impossible to find any shop that does (or cares about doing) good work, including the dealerships. And the biggest problem is people not demanding good work.

My parents just got an alignment and the wheel isn't straight. They won't take it back because, "It's not a big deal."

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”