May I remove rear drive shaft?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

May I remove rear drive shaft?

Postby labsy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi,

I need to replace both U-joints on rear driveshaft, but I do not have lift available for more than one hour at a time in one go. When I replaced front drive shaft U-joints it was simple:
- I removed whole driveshaft
- vehicle was driveable and I used it without front driveshaft
- then I replaced U-joints and reinstalled driveshaft when they had time in the garage to use lift again

But what about REAR driveshaft?
First off, it's not bolted in front, but only to the rear diff. In front the whole shaft goes into transfer box. It's all oiled and looks like going directly into transfer box. So if I would drive WITHOUT REAR DRIVESHAFT, I am afraid:
- would oil leak from transfer box?
- if I stick a rag temporarily into opening of transfer to prevent dust going in, could I do some damage? Could transfer box grab the rag and soak it into gears?

I know vehicle will move with only front driveline, because if I would select 4HI selector, transfer would lock into 50/50 ratio and torque would go to front wheels for sure.

Any ideas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Personally, I wouldn't chance it. A rag definitely wouldn't work for the reasons you mentioned. You "might" be able to use a seal plug, but if it falls out, you're going to have a mess and could do damage to the case.

labsy

Postby labsy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Yes, you are right.

Fortunately my garage found free lift this morning and I changed U-joint successfully. Maybe a hint for DIYers - at first I tried to disassemble U-joints using hydraulic press, but it was pain in the arse to assemble jig/holders for the shaft to press it properly. But still it was painful to press those joints apart.

The best way to do it was simply using HAMMER, using moderate hammering on the thickest part of joint while supporting the two angle U-joint sides on vice.
Assembly too was easy using hammer and quite some feeling, not to damage driveshaft.

At the end of assembly I tapped u-joints lightly from all sides until joint was moving with just slight resistance.
Drives like a charm now :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 pm

A ball joint press or U-joint press can also be used.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”