The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Can you integrate a Nav system into a non-Nav 08?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texsn95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Can you integrate a Nav system into a non-Nav 08? Reply with quote

My wife and I are looking at an 08 Pathfinder but it's kind of hard to find one with Nav in our price range. I refuse to use a stick-on nav system and have enjoyed the integrated (albeit less function) factory nav in my M45 for the past 3 years. We'll be getting one with the rearview camera so it will already have the monitor, so is there an aftermarket nav system than can be integrated into the oem monitor? Or maybe add the factory nav? Assuming you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for the parts. I found this garmin unit that's supposed to do what I want but don't know if it'll work for the 08s.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10573#featureTab

Thanks for any info.
JAHBLESSINGS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion the on screen navi works the best. it's nice to view the road on the screen as you travel and see upcoming malls, gas stations,restaurants etc.
albaniandude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can you integrate a Nav system into a non-Nav 08? Reply with quote

texsn95 wrote:
My wife and I are looking at an 08 Pathfinder but it's kind of hard to find one with Nav in our price range. I refuse to use a stick-on nav system and have enjoyed the integrated (albeit less function) factory nav in my M45 for the past 3 years. We'll be getting one with the rearview camera so it will already have the monitor, so is there an aftermarket nav system than can be integrated into the oem monitor? Or maybe add the factory nav? Assuming you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for the parts. I found this garmin unit that's supposed to do what I want but don't know if it'll work for the 08s.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10573#featureTab

Thanks for any info.

The screen is not a touch screen so I dont see it as a workable unit, you need to double check.
texsn95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:
in my opinion the on screen navi works the best. it's nice to view the road on the screen as you travel and see upcoming malls, gas stations,restaurants etc.

Agreed, like with the M.

Quote:
The screen is not a touch screen so I dont see it as a workable unit, you need to double check.

Oh, the 08 Nav is touchscreen? Hmmm, yeah that could complicate things Sad

Thanks guys.
MonkeyMike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the complications really come into play with the 08's since the SE models with the screens have an integrated audio system and HVAC system... both use the screen to display pertinent information. and it is not a touch screen. personally, i dont think you are going to be able to separate the systems.

also, for the amount of money that it would cost to retrofit a factory nav into place, you could buy a couple of garmins (tomtoms, etc).

whats the reason that you do not want a garmin?

by the way, the link you posted does not work... but it looks like you were referencing the garmin GVN 53. IMHO, using a remote sounds kind of annoying, especially compared to a touch screen.

~mike
texsn95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, my wife was looking out the window of her office, when 2 guys drove up to a new Z parked right out front at noon, punched out the driver's window and stole his stick-on nav unit in about 30 seconds. Having that in plain sight is just an invitation for trouble. We're used to the integrated nav in the M and visually dont want something like that on the dash or windshield and want to keep it that way if possible. Razz

Quote:
also, for the amount of money that it would cost to retrofit a factory nav into place, you could buy a couple of garmins (tomtoms, etc).

That's the thing, I'm just trying to find out what it would cost in the first place, as I wouldn't mind paying more (up to a point Smile). Kind of like the Nav hack for the M, no one really knows how well it would work until someone actually did it. And the selection of Pathfinders is much greater with the non-nav option so we could have more choices in terms of colors, etc. and getting a better price.

That link works on my computer...weird. But yes it was the GVN 53.
AZ_Path

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread and then go to the companies website below that. Their website says that car navigation gps can be integrated with their system so it might work for what you are trying to do. That said, by the time you buy all the equipment, you might be better off just buying the factory nav to begin with.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=907&highlight=

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/
texsn95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the link. I agree it'd be a real pain but it's still interesting to see people open up the OEM stuff.
mar1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dude,

i got a 08 SE with no nav, and i set it up with a garmin to the same screen.

i cant possibly integrate it into the software of the screen, but the screen itself if a TV all in all.

the rear view camera has a video input. disassemble the plastics under the shift stick, and u can easily see a yellow input, with a marking tape written on it "rear view camera input"

connect the garmin (or ur choice of nav-system) to the rear view input)

now comes the tricky part. the rear view camera has 2 inputs which i will name A and B

A - default camera video input which engages automatically on reverse, and overrides the screen.

B - the nav input video that u just connected.

there is a nissan chip that controls the A/C and the audio and stuff. its connected to the screen via an input cable (if i remember correctly it was a blue wire also marked with a marking tape)

u need to cut that wire and put a relay switch (on/off) that switches input to the screen, (ON = input from nissan chip / OFF = input from rear camera which is nav)

OFF has 2 positions (B which is the navigation, and A which overrides everything and anything u connect, even a DVD) - controlled by a simple 2 way ON/OFF switch.

if ur not really into electronics, any two-bit car audio electrician will know how to cross wire the relay.

i even went farther and installed a dvd player with a 3-way video splitter/controller. Very Happy

cannot get touch screen though, since the screen does not have touch sensors. the nav system comes with an RF remote control though, which can be used from 3rd-row seat (tested)
scarelli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got under the trim pieces around the shifter, I can't seem to find the RCA Input. Do I need to remove the plastic around the shifter underneath?

Is there a RCA jack under there somewhere, so I can add a second input?

Thanks
Tiggerpunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the Nissan Garmin dock. I had it installed in my 2005 Pathfinder and it was a nice addition to my center stack with a factory look. I realize this is a dated post but check the Classifieds section if you are still looking for a GPS solution to a non-nav Pathfinder.
2012 Pathfinder Silver Edition (R51 K12 with Sunroof): Nitrogen-filled General Grabber ATs 285/65R17 - Level 8 MK6 – Gorilla Acorn Black Chrome Lug Nuts - Rocky Road Super Sliders - Rancho suspension (Loaded quickLIFT + RS9000™XL + Rear Spacers) - EBC Stage 3 Truck and SUV Brake Kit (EBC 3GD Series Sport Rotors + EBC GreenStuff 6000 Brake Pads) - K&N 77 Series CAI - Weather Tech Floor Mats - Air Lift 1000
2005 Pathfinder SE
1995 Pathfinder SE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: