CSF radiator -- review -- 2011 4x4

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

underworld1001

CSF radiator -- review -- 2011 4x4

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm

So a few months ago I found myself reading the forums and essentially found myself in a concerned stated of mind. I was worried that I would eventually run into the dreaded radiator/trans issue. My vehicle was approaching 80k miles so I decided to pick up a aftermarket radiator to save myself from this headache. Granted my vehicle is a 2011 and this issue seemed to be limited to 2005-2010, but my thinking was that this went on for 5 years and with a sub-par effort to resolve by Nissan I wasn't going to risk it.

The radiator I decided to purchase was a CSF all aluminum radiator. Picked it up for $330 with free shipping off of eBay. I actually left a review there as well if you'd like to read it. -- https://www.ebay.com/p/radiator-2-row-a ... serReviews username - kmfdm1308

Ordered the radiator and took it out of the box and noticed how shiny it was. I also noticed that lower radiator outlet was bent out of shape. The box wasn't damaged and everything looked factory sealed with no tampering. My assumption is that this happened in the factory somewhere and still passed QC. I eventually bent it back into shape as shown in the pictures below. I would have returned it, but for whatever reason, I didn't. If you decide to purchase it and this happened, I would send it back if possible. Judging from CSF Facebook page, you'd be fighting an uphill battle if you went that route.

All the welds on the radiator look pretty good from what I could tell. I didn't see anything that would indicate the welds were crap or would crack. I've had it on there for about 5000+ miles so far and it's held up great.

One thing that really irked me was that the cap that was included was a pressurized cap. The pressure on these systems is on the overflow tank. Why? Who knows, but it is. I had to bend the old radiator cap to fit the new one. As of this writing, no leaks yet. Note that I found this out the hard way. Before I fixed the cap I had my temp gauge jumping all over the place which I was assuming was air in the tank. Did all the recommended steps for clearing the air out (park on incline with cap off, turn on heater, let vehicle heat up and refill), but that didn't resolve it. Ended up having coolant spray from the radiator after every drive. Did some searches and found on an Xterra forum that the old cap had to be reused. Funny that this radiator specific for this vehicle (and Xterra/Frontier) came with the wrong cap.

Installed the radiator and as mentioned earlier, have driven on it for 5000K+ miles and everythings good. Bought new Nissan hoses for it as well, but got rid of the factory clamps and just used some basic screw type. I know the general consensus is to not use those, but I've personally never had an issue with them on any vehicle I've owned ::knock on wood::.

Overall review -- would I recommend this. ONLY if you had the extra cash to burn. With all the mistakes I've had with this radiator just out of the box, I realized I should have just gotten a Spectra Premium plastic tank and saved some cash. Not regretting my decision, just wish things initially would have played out better.

With that said; pics below.

Radiator part number from CSF Race website

Side by side

Welds/build quality

Coolant aftermath when the cap that came with the radiator was on. In the pic, it shows the Nissan cap which is what should be on there. This pic is before cleanup.
Image[/img]

Straightening out the bend. Wasn't sure what to use at first. Figured I can go to Harbor Freight and get creative with my 20% off coupon and pick up a set of crappy screwdriver set as well for the hell of it. Ended up being a success as I found a cheap Harbor Freight tear drop mallet -- https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-te ... 66205.html. Placed it into the bent hole and hammered on it until it rounded out. That got most of it. There was still a slight bend to it so I looked around with random metal items to assist with bending the aluminum. Found out that the tire iron was a perfect fit. Hammered on that as well. After about 30 minutes of playing Thor, the hole was as close to round as I could get it. Note that the ratchet in the picture was my hammer :)
Image :D :D

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 am

Wow nice job! I assume with this mod you plan to keep your Pathy for the long haul? It must give you a sense of less worry with the new radiator in place.

I don't know if you do any towing but there is an aftermarket aluminum finned transmission oil pan that holds an extra quart and is supposed to keep tran much cooler that is available for our trucks. Noticed it on line the other day and I was thinking of getting one. Can't recall the site I found it but just google aluminum trans pan for VQ40DE and it should come up. I just thought I would mention it....

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Generally, I go through a vehicle every couple of years just to keep things fresh. Seeing as I'm trying to get a house in the near future, the Pathy will likely stick around for a bit.

Regarding the aluminum pan, it's good to know that there are some companies making performance parts for the Pathy. I'll def be on the look out for it. My next thing on the to do list is to try and figure out something to make the brakes better. They are some of the worst I've ever used. The E-brake is horrible as well. I may just upgrade to stainless steel lines and get better pads and slotted (not drilled) rotors, though I wish there were some caliper upgrades as well.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Well, there's a big brake option, but it's expensive at $2000. I've been planning and upgrading my 2006 V6's front brakes to the V8's. Rotors are 1" bigger in diameter. Caliper mounts should bolt up to the knuckles and they use the same brake hoses. Some of the V8 models use the same part number master cylinder as the V6 model so I think it should work without any hitches as long as you have at least 17" wheels. I'm just waiting on the time and money to do it; I got a few things to take care of before I do that.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey that's good to know. $2k is quite a bit more than I'd want to spend, but I didn't know about the potential V8 brake option. I might purchase one of the calipers off of eBay if they're not too expensive and compare them. Thanks!

McMac

Postby McMac » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 am

Just a reminder to folks considering one of these radiators that they don't fit in the V8.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=12333

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”