Shifting

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Derbyfool

Shifting

Postby Derbyfool » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Just got a 2008 pathfinder, a lot of times the transmission will not shift I to 5th gear, unless I put it into manual mode and shift it there. Only problem there is 9 times out of 10 the manual mode does not work, when you push the shifter over to manual mode the D on the dash just stays there and no gear number shows up. Last night when I stopped at a light the transmission did not down shift and the pathfinder tried to start off in forth.

I have checked the tranny fluid and it is pink, radiator fluid appears fine.

Not sure were to go from here, any help would be great

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 am

Any SES light?

I'd do a drain and fill on the transmission.

If not the SMOD, could be a sticking component in the transmission valve body.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 am

First step I would do is download a factory service manual. There is a self-diagnostic test you can perform on the transmission for starters. Then, there is a symptom chart matrix you can use to find out the most likely causes for you problem.

Derbyfool

Postby Derbyfool » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for the response. Took it to the car lot I got it from. They pulled the pan and found the dreaded strawberry milkshake sludge. Thank God I paid the extra money for the 30 day bumper to bumper warranty. Now just have to wait for the call that it's fixed.
Hopefully soon, wife hates the pt cruiser we got as a loaner

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”