Poor Nissan and their lack of 4x4 vehicles

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Poor Nissan and their lack of 4x4 vehicles

Postby NVSteve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm

I've been contacted multiple times throughout ownership of a 2007 Pathfinder and 2011 Xterra from dealerships looking to buy, obviously to get me into a new car. Ever since the death of the Xterra and Pathfinder, those contacts have increased. The last 3 months I have been bombarded with snail mail, email and many voicemails from multiple Nissan dealerships. I accidentally answered one of those calls yesterday and spoke to the salesman for a few minutes. It was a pretty sad conversation. He said he would love to buy the Xterra and would even be willing to offer up something for the Pathfinder. I asked him why I've been getting so much crap from them and he mentioned that they simply can't keep either of these vehicles on the lots because everyone is looking for a used 4x4 SUV, which they haven't made for a few years (current gen PF may as well be a Miata). I told him there was absolutely no vehicle in the Nissan family that I would want to buy, then proceeded to tell him my thoughts about the current gen PF. He actually said that many previous customers have been telling him the exact same thing. I ended by saying thanks, but I'm going with Toyota for the my next car.

The truck and SUV market has been back in full swing for a while now. Hard to believe Nissan doesn't see this. I wonder if they are working on anything new (not necessarily one of the overseas models) to bring to the table that is 4x4/SUV instead of AWD/CUV?

TNhunter

Postby TNhunter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 pm

They should. I love my 2012 Pathfinder. But if Nissan doesn't come out with another real Pathfinder instead of this van they have named the Pathfinder I'll be going with a 4-Runner next.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 am

Nissan was pushing to increase their market share to 10%. To do this they had to cut down on some of the low sellers and boost the econo cars and CUV sales which are selling like hot cakes in America right now.

I too loathe that Nissan has forsaken their 4x4 enthusiasts by killing the Xterra and neutering the Pathy. My hope is that the new Frontier brings an Xterra on the same platform that will sell better. There are spy shots from a year ago of a SUV with the new Frontier front end floating around on the web. I just hope it isn't a platform for only other countries.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:54 am

docwatson wrote:Nissan was pushing to increase their market share to 10%. To do this they had to cut down on some of the low sellers and boost the econo cars and CUV sales which are selling like hot cakes in America right now.

I too loathe that Nissan has forsaken their 4x4 enthusiasts by killing the Xterra and neutering the Pathy. My hope is that the new Frontier brings an Xterra on the same platform that will sell better. There are spy shots from a year ago of a SUV with the new Frontier front end floating around on the web. I just hope it isn't a platform for only other countries.
Could not have said it any better my exact thought

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 am

Well, for those that can afford it, there is still the Armada...if you can deal with something that big and 12-13 mpg.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

smj999smj wrote:Well, for those that can afford it, there is still the Armada...if you can deal with something that big and 12-13 mpg.
That's what the salesman told me right after I told him I had no interest in any of their vehicles as nothing can replace the X or PF. The Armada is okay, especially now that it is no longer that aborted conglomeration of weird angles (fugly), but it simply is not a replacement for our nimble rides.

I'm 99.9% certain I'll be getting a 4Runner next as I won't buy a Jeep. If I won the lottery between now and that point, I'd buy 2 or 3 just to be sure I'll always have a backup. Especially since everyone is pushing everything into the CUV realm.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Our Armada is stepped down from the global Patrol. It definitely has the right roots, but its buy in cost and modification costs are sure to be high also.

I don't have the same disdain for Jeep but if I had to buy a new vehicle to replace my Pathfinder it would be a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee (trail rated of course). I doubt the 4Runner will get the CUV treatment only because of the Rav4 and Highlander. Plus it has a cult following and great sales numbers to support it in its current form.

Several things led to our Pathfinder's demise but it would sell better in the current market for sure. I will continue to hold out hope for a new 7 Passenger Xterra, aka R51 2.0

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 pm

My only issue with the 4runner (and the same goes for the Taco) is the lousy, uncomfortable seats and seating position. For short trips it isn't too bad, but it's terrible on long trips. Well, make that two issues... The new ones are also butt ugly, IMO!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 am

smj999smj wrote:My only issue with the 4runner (and the same goes for the Taco) is the lousy, uncomfortable seats and seating position. For short trips it isn't too bad, but it's terrible on long trips. Well, make that two issues... The new ones are also butt ugly, IMO!
Exactly! The new ones have the same seating position as my 2006 4Runner had and I hated that about it. I also felt the frame rust was excessive in a short ammount of time. As far as the new Taco goes the one I drove was a nice truck but I felt real overpriced for what you get and I felt the new V6 was really lacking low end grunt. Although the Frontier is an old design I think I would look for a two year old low millage one and save about $10-12,000 over a new Taco!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

smj999smj wrote:My only issue with the 4runner (and the same goes for the Taco) is the lousy, uncomfortable seats and seating position. For short trips it isn't too bad, but it's terrible on long trips. Well, make that two issues... The new ones are also butt ugly, IMO!
I haven't been in the seats of a current gen, so I'll be paying attention to that once I force myself into a dealership. Been in lots of 4 runners prior to the current gen and never had a problem though. But, all I can say is that I will be completely phucked if the seats are as horrible as you make them out to be. There is no other option out there to replace a vehicle like the Pathfinder. Too many friends and family who have/had Jeeps with all of the problems, too many instances of being on the trail and helping out broken down Jeeps, etc. All one has to do is look at any Jeep forum online to see all the horror stories. Damn you Nissan!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:43 pm

4runner and Tacoma seat have traditionally been low to the floor, causing your legs to extend more straight out. The bottom seat cushions have also been known to not have much cushioning and you tend to notice it on long drives. The latest generation has improved a little, but not much.

Return to “R51 General Chat”