Trouble Code P0448

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Trouble Code P0448

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey all,

My 08 V8 pathfinder's check engine light came on yesterday. Code is P0448. I've looked it up as a EVAP canister vent control valve closed. Possible cause: Blocked purge hoses, EVAP canister saturated, Faulty EVAP canister vent control valve.

So my question is, what have people found the be the correct item to fix? I've checked my fuel cap and ensured it was on/closed. Maybe it needs to be replaced? Let me know what you all think. Thanks

asgard

Postby asgard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Although I have a V6, I think this issue was solved with the replacement of the EVAP valve assembly. Mounts to the top of the black canister behind the rear passenger wheel. Sorted under warranty so a little vague.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:18 pm

inspect the vent control valve. in my experience with this code if it has the old style (i call it "log style") replace it with the new style (has a metal "cage" on it)...

if your pathfinder has the new style valve (will have metal on it) you will need to diagnose it further. MOST of the time if it has the new valve, it has debris in it.

from ASIST (Nissan electronic service manual)

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

• EVAP canister vent control valve
• EVAP control system pressure sensor
and the circuit
• Blocked rubber tube to EVAP canister
vent control valve
• Drain filter
• EVAP canister is saturated with water

please let me know if you need further help with this issue.

BTW: to remove, you will need to twist the valve quarter turn to release.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try and look into it soon. Its been 0 degrees F here and I really don't want to go crawl under the Pathfinder in the weather.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 am

I have yet to crawl under my pathfinder to look to see if it's blocked, but I called the local dealer and they want 126.88 for just the valve. He couldn't tell me if it had a metal cage or not. Part number JF00B.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

JF00B is the updated number. They are all the new style. Problem is, does your truck have the cage on it. That's what you need to look at

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks for the update on the part number.

I was planning to look this weekend to see if mine has the cage or not, but we got about 2 feet of new snow.

goinkster

Postby goinkster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:03 am

Good morning. I know this is an old thread but I am hoping you can tell me what the final solution was to your P0448 code.

I have an 08 V8 Pathfinder that began throwing this code about 3 months ago. Erase the code and it will come back at least once each tank.

I have replaced the VC Valve, that did not fix it.

I have torn everything apart back there, blew air through all the lines. Definitely got some dust out of there, but noting is blocked. The car has the auxiliary filter in the system. It flows freely as well. The canister is dry and I see no obvious signs of damage. Blowing air through the canister and filter definitely produces dust but everything flows.

I hope you were able to fix your issue and can tell me what you did.

Thank you.

goinkster

Postby goinkster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 am

OK, well I thought I would let everyone know what I have done.

Code P0448 came back the day after my last post so I tore everything apart back there again.

I used compressed air and blew through every line and the canister again.

Not much dust this time, a little but not much.

I also disconnected the battery and cleaned the terminals.

The battery is 16 months old. There was no corrosion on the terminals.
I cleaned the battery posts and the lugs.
Typically I would not because they looked clean, the lugs were tight.

The only reason I did this was because I was out of ideas.

After doing this I have not had a code. Again I was getting this code at least once each tank.

Took a trip east, 1100 miles and 4 tanks of gas no codes.
I have put on 1000 more miles 4 tanks 5 weeks since and still no codes.

I don’t know for sure but I think cleaning the battery posts may have done the trick.
If not cleaning the posts then maybe it was just disconnecting the battery.

I am not sure if this will help anyone else but it may be worth a shot.

If your getting a P0448 code. If changing the VC valve and blowing out the lines and the canister does not fix it, try disconnecting and cleaning the battery posts and terminal lugs.

Or just clean the battery first before you waste money on a VC Valve like I did.

Good luck.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”