The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Uneven rotor wear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiBRiD109

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Uneven rotor wear Reply with quote

I've had a slight scraping noise for a few months that only last a minute after I first start moving from cold. It only happens when at slow speeds and goes away. I couldn't find where it was coming from but I figured it had to be the brakes or hub. Well last night I got down and looked at the front driver side rotor and noticed that on the surface area the pad contacts the rotor, there are lines and on the very bottom (about 1/8") its thicker like a small taper. Only the outside has this, the inside is fine. I am hoping its just the pads not aligned or are bad, not the caliper. Either way I'll need to replace the front rotors pads. Anybody else have this problem? There is no shimmy or pull when applying the brakes. The pad seems to match the shape.

Sorry for the crude image but it's the only way I can show what I am trying to describe before I take off the wheel.

smj999smj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, if a caliper is not retracting like it should when the brakes are released, it'll affect both sides. Without inspecting it personally, it's hard to say, but what "could" be happening is that the one pad is binding in the abutment clips. Make sure you get a quality set of pads that comes with new hardware and lube the abutment clips with an appropriate lube for the application, like copperslip (copper impregnated grease that won't break down under the heat). Many of your better pads will come with this, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: