Clunking / popping from front passenger side 96 Pathfinder.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Speeden6

Clunking / popping from front passenger side 96 Pathfinder.

Postby Speeden6 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Hey, New member and have searched for weeks before posting. I have a 96 Pathfinder 4x4 and there is a clunking / Knocking coming from the front passenger side. I have KYB shocks and struts (age unknown) and have done new wheel bearings, Boots, brakes and Rotors. I also did a new End link and the sound went away but came back after about 2 weeks.

got upgraded end links and it went away for another week but is back again! you can hear it when giving over bumps, or swaying side to side when driving. I swear its the end links but why are they going bad? I also did new sway bar bushings last time I did both links.

If the car is just sitting you can bounce the passenger side and it clunks but not the driver side. What is making the noise or making them go bad fast!

I am about to drop 300 on new suspension for the front but dont want to do that and have it not be the issue. please help!

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:12 am

I used to have a similar clunk that I could not figure out for the life of me... It ended up being the inner tie-rod ends. There was a very small play in them and everything went to normal after replacing.... It was also happening only on speed bumps... So it's worth a look... (check your steering rack bushings also.. they tend to crack and loosen.)

Speeden6

Postby Speeden6 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:16 am

I'm going to give that a try! maybe the new end links put enough pressure on the tie rods to keep them from making the noise until the end links break in or break.

Thanks! I'll post my findings when I swap them.

threewood

Postby threewood » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:48 am

Make sure the end link nuts are tight and did not work loose. It has happened to me. Get someone to work the wheel while you lay under and check for the culprit.

tivo532

Postby tivo532 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Speeden6,

Were you able to fix the problem? I'll be checking mine also this weekend as I can also hear some clunking sounds. Cheers!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”