Right Side Exhaust Manifold Replacement.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Twospeed

Right Side Exhaust Manifold Replacement.

Postby Twospeed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Has anyone had to replace the right side (passenger) exhaust manifold? The SM says you need to pull the engine. Has anyone found an easier way to do it. Maybe pull the suspension. Torch the frame off. :lol:

Thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm

I replaced mine when I installed shorty headers. The problem isn't so much the manifold, but its heat shield. First, the shield bolts break, which is no big deal if you are replacing it. Next, the problem is getting the heat shield out; it is usually done by cutting it into pieces and pulling it out, piece-by-piece. Once the heat shield is out of the way, R&R of the exhaust manifold is pretty straightforward. Unplug the rear O2 sensor and remove the front pipe/rear converter assembly, remove the upstream air/fuel ratio sensor and remove the upstream converter, remove the exhaust manifold; you can remove the upstream converter and manifold as an assembly, if you prefer. Then, you can assemble the new manifold and upstream converter and install, torque the bolts to spec and in the pattern given in the FSM. For me, since headers don't have a heat shield, it was just reverse procedure to install. However, if you are going to install the shield, I don't see how you are going to do it unless, at the very least, you unbolt the right side motor mount and jack up the right side of the engine until you have enough space to get the shield in place. I think you "might" have enough room if you do it that way. BTW, I should have mentioned you need to remove the front, plastic, wheel well liner first.
You can see some pics of my exhaust work at this thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=12841

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”