Automatic transmission TCM/valve body repair.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Automatic transmission TCM/valve body repair.

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Lately, I've noticed a lot of transmission solenoid trouble codes being reported (and I'm not talking about the ones that have been affected due to coolant contamination due to failed radiator coolers). The solenoids themselves are not sold by Nissan and when they are found on the internet and installed, they often don't fix the problem and the code resets. The thing is, it is often not the solenoid that is the problem nor the TCM, which mounts to the valve body. The RE5R05A transmission is pretty good, but it appears it does have problems with pins breaking on the valve body, causing poor electrical circuits to and from the solenoids. I found this great video on YouTube that shows the failure and how to disassemble and repair the problem by re-soldering the pin(s). It may not be something for the typical DIY'er, but at least it gives some insight into the problem:

https://youtu.be/GAveITCubOQ

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:17 pm

very cool

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

My Xterra (same tranny a sour Pathys) had to have its valvebody replaced a little less than a year ago.

Maybe this was the reason?

I also see a lot of Titans which I understand to have our exact transmission w/ high miles on original transmission.. even though they have a V8 acting on a much heavier vehicle..

So I agree the substance of our trannys is pretty solid

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”