Flashing OD/Off in Diagnostic mode...what does it mean?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

wpeej

Flashing OD/Off in Diagnostic mode...what does it mean?

Postby wpeej » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I figured out how to put my transmission (2006 Pathfinder SE 4x4) into diagnostic mode; it blinks 17 times then one long blink, then does it again. Anyone know what this code means?

It currently shifts normally from 1st to 4th, but when it tries to go into OD it downshifts to 3rd and will stay there until I turn off the OD (which it then shifts back to 4th).

The ATF looks good, no ATF in the coolant and it shifts smoothly. The previous owner said it shifted fine, but he unplugged the battery and it seems to have started then.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 pm

It'll list the codes and diagnostic procedures in the factory service manual. You should be able to download an FSM for free at Nico Club's site.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Diagnostic trouble code “U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT†with CONSULT-II or 17th judgement flicker without CONSULT-II is detected when TCM cannot
communicate to other control units.

Possible Cause: Harness or connectors
(CAN communication line is open or shorted.)

With other words: might be easy to find bad connector, or pain in the a** to find electrical problem in communication. What you can do without a lot of hassle is to check oval connector on A/T housing, especially pins 3 and 8 (middle pair), clean them with some contact spray and put them back together.

You will need to clear the DTC code once you think problem is resolved by turning ignition switch to OFF as an exit step from diagnostic mode. If you do anything else before, like shift to another position, then diagnistic mode will exit without clearing DTC code.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 pm

I think there was a TSB for that issue, as well, but you needed the freeze frame data to confirm if it applied to the bulletin. Bulletin showed a number of ground points in the engine compartment and behind the dash that you had to clean. The TSB applied to several different Nissan models in the mid-2000's.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”