If a install a set of wheels/tires w/o TPM will..

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

If a install a set of wheels/tires w/o TPM will..

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm

If a install a set of wheels/tires w/o Tire Pressure Monitors will..
The truck alarm at me via a low tire pressure light on the gauges?

Or will it just display "no data" , dashes, etc or something in the tire pressure info screen ( if and when I decide to go there)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 pm

The TPMS warning light will flash briefly and then go solid and stay "on." If you have the tire pressure readout, it will show "**". If it were me, I would just spend $120 and get a set of Dorman direct-fit TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com, which have a lifetime warranty, and install them on the new wheels. Then all you need is a cheap, $20 trigger tool like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TPMS-Reset-T ... 3=&veh=sem

Get a pin and a lead wire with alligator clips on it (some people just use a bent paper clip). Next to your OBD II diagnostic port under the driver's side of the dash, it the white, 2-pin, TPMS diagnostic connector that has 1-wire going to it (it may be secured with tape). Turn they key "on" and within 10 secs, touch the TPMS diagnostic wire to ground 6-times and leave it grounded. The TPMS warning light should start flashing steadily, meaning it's in registration mode. Take the trigger tool to the left-front wheel and place it against the tire, near the tire valve. Hit the button on the trigger tool and in a few seconds, the hazard lights should flash, indicating the ID of that sensor has registered. Next, move to the right-front tire and do the same thing. Continue to the right-rear and then the left-rear, continuing the procedure at each wheel. When done, turn the key off and your TPMS sensors should be registered.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks!!! Thats very helpful! :)

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:20 am

I can't find the Dorman sensors on RockAuto.

Are these it? https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-974-017-M ... an+974+017

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 am

Rockauto and Dorman had some differences in opinion on what the market should be on Dorman parts so Rockauto stopped advertising some of the Dorman parts with which they have had issues on pricing. The Dorman 974-017 is the correct TPMS sensor for the 2012 and you can get it from Rockauto (I just ordered one yesterday for a warranty replacement), put you have to go to the part number lookup and search for part number "974017" and scroll under brand to "Dorman" then click on "search" and the part will come up. From there, you can add it to your cart. The price is about the same as what's listed on Amazon, but I think if you had to return the part for warranty several years down the road, it would be easier to do with Rockauto. All you have to do is go to your account page and search for the part number and brand and it will list all of your prior orders that had that part. From there, you just go to the order page and set up your return.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Ok thanks!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”