R50 Front Locking Hubs

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

tbrock

R50 Front Locking Hubs

Postby tbrock » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Having an issue with my 2002 SE Pathfinder 4x4. Left front hub is making some clicking noises, feels like it is staying engaged. Any body have a part number for the hubs? Can't seem to find one at Rock Auto or outside of Nissan parts group at the dealership. They want over $300 for one side. Any suggestion?
Has anyone gone with manual hubs?

Thanks tried to search but didn't find anything.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 pm

You sure it's not a split cv boot/worn out cv joint?

tbrock

Postby tbrock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 am

disallow wrote:You sure it's not a split cv boot/worn out cv joint?
Terry,

I wish it was that. It feels like it is not disengaging correctly.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe the hubs on the R50 do any locking or unlocking like the hubs on the earlier WD21's and the Hardbody trucks. The R50 has just a knuckle with races, tapered wheel bearings, seals, a flange plate, bearing lock nut and a snap ring. There is no spring, brake plate nor clutch. If you have a noise in a hub, I would suspect a bad wheel bearing. I would think the 4x4 system works similar to that of the R51 Pathfinder where the front driveshaft turns any time the front wheels turn and the drive engagement takes place inside the transfer case. That would make sense in that you can find a hub assembly on Rockauto; what you are likely looking at on the Nissan site is probably just the flange plate.

tbrock

Postby tbrock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:43 pm

smj999smj wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe the hubs on the R50 do any locking or unlocking like the hubs on the earlier WD21's and the Hardbody trucks. The R50 has just a knuckle with races, tapered wheel bearings, seals, a flange plate, bearing lock nut and a snap ring. There is no spring, brake plate nor clutch. If you have a noise in a hub, I would suspect a bad wheel bearing. I would think the 4x4 system works similar to that of the R51 Pathfinder where the front driveshaft turns any time the front wheels turn and the drive engagement takes place inside the transfer case. That would make sense in that you can find a hub assembly on Rockauto; what you are likely looking at on the Nissan site is probably just the flange plate.

Thanks for the education on the hubs.

tbrock

Postby tbrock » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 pm

so figured part of it out. The front drive shaft needed u joints so we replaced those and it solved part of the problem but there still is a little vibration. I also replaced the right side front axle CV because the boot was cracked.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 am

Vibrations are a pain to diagnose, but here's what I do....

to minimize the time of diagnostic, remove both of your cvs and the front drive shaft.

road test. Right away you will know if the issue is with your wheel/tires. From there, re-install your front drive shaft.

road test.

if still no vibration, re-install your cv one at a time with a road test in between...

you'll find it this way.

S.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”