Tailgate light defenders

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

euroBen

Tailgate light defenders

Postby euroBen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 am

I would like to fit some tailgate light protectors but I am just interested if anyone has fitted them and how they are attached to the frame? It says online that they bolt in but just wondering if this requires drilling or fitting to existing bolts?
I would post a photo of the ones I want to get but haven't been able to get my photos to post as yet...
Last edited by euroBen on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infinity-x

Re: Tailgate light defenders

Postby Infinity-x » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 am

euroBen wrote:I would like to fit some tailgate light protectors but I am just interested if anyone has fitted them and how they are attached to the frame? It says online that they bolt in but just wondering if this requires drilling or fitting to existing bolts?
I would post a photo of the ones I want to get but haven't been able to get my photos to post as yet...
I had some on my Expedition. Same process though. They basically bolt using the existing bolts that hold the tail light in currently. There are two (you can see them once you open the tailgate). I believe the new guards will come with some longer bolts to replace the original, though.

Let me know how they are if you go buy some! I was scared off by one Ebay review of a pair where the buyer said he had to bend them a bit just to get the tailgate closed. However, others have good reviews so I guess it's just a quality control thing. I've been eying some as they'd go really good with my roof basket.

euroBen

Postby euroBen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 am

Infinity-x wrote:
euroBen wrote:I would like to fit some tailgate light protectors but I am just interested if anyone has fitted them and how they are attached to the frame? It says online that they bolt in but just wondering if this requires drilling or fitting to existing bolts?
I had some on my Expedition. Same process though. They basically bolt using the existing bolts that hold the tail light in currently. There are two (you can see them once you open the tailgate). I believe the new guards will come with some longer bolts to replace the original, though.

Let me know how they are if you go buy some! I was scared off by one Ebay review of a pair where the buyer said he had to bend them a bit just to get the tailgate closed. However, others have good reviews so I guess it's just a quality control thing. I've been eying some as they'd go really good with my roof basket.
Thanks for the advice. I will get some and see how I get on. I think they will look pretty rad. would be interested to see a pic of your roof basket.

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:24 am

euroBen wrote:
Infinity-x wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I will get some and see how I get on. I think they will look pretty rad. would be interested to see a pic of your roof basket.
Please send some pics when you get a chance!! If they look good on yours I'll probably snag a pair.

I'll try to get a pic today of the roof basket for you.

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am

Sorry for the late and crappy pictures, but here's a pic of my roof basket:

euroBen

Postby euroBen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:54 pm

That’s a real cool roof basket! Do you not have to have number plates on the front of your cars in the states?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

euroBen wrote:That’s a real cool roof basket! Do you not have to have number plates on the front of your cars in the states?
.............depends on which state as there is no federal mandate (quite surprisingly, it's left up to the individual states).

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 am

euroBen wrote:That’s a real cool roof basket! Do you not have to have number plates on the front of your cars in the states?
Thanks! It looks smaller in the picture than it actually is in person- its massive lol.

Did you get the tail light guards? I recently put on aftermarket tail lights so I doubt they'd fit... BUT I did keep the stock tail lights because I'm sure I will get tired of these aftermarket ones and switch back to the original in no time lol. and vice versa

euroBen

Postby euroBen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 am

I haven’t got any tail light guards as I can’t find any in the UK. I can get them from the states but the shipping and the import duty is massive!

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am

euroBen wrote:I haven’t got any tail light guards as I can’t find any in the UK. I can get them from the states but the shipping and the import duty is massive!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Nissan-P ... SwaB5XtbaG

Get these and plasti-dip or paint them black!

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm

I just installed some today. I had to drill a small 1/8 in hole so that there could be a 3rd mounting point opposite of the tail light bolts. The fitment was kinda crappy and the ones I received looked used (scuffed up in some areas). I had to bend the attachment tabs back a bit with the help of body weight and the street curb. They look good on their now though. From what I read across eBay and Amazon, it's pure luck on fitment regardless of brand. That's why I went for the cheap ones.

Got them here -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-05-12-PATH ... 2749.l2649

mikeysma11z

Postby mikeysma11z » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm

the girlfriend bought me a pair of these for christmas 4 years ago.. finally put it on last winter lol.

The install itself is fairly quick. It has 3 mounting points. Two of the mounting points utilize the same points that hold your taillights in place. The third mounting point requires drilling on the very edge of the body that is covered by the taillight. This third mounting point holds a bracket that keeps the taillight guard steady and vibration free.

As Underworld1001 said above, i too had to bend the attachment tabs a bit just to align the guards properly. They aren't 100% perfect fit but with a little adjustment it is easy to visually center. They look great and add a nice touch to the rear of the pathy.

Will try and take some pics tomorrow when the sun comes back out.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”