Led pods

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

pathfinderspot10

Led pods

Postby pathfinderspot10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Has anyone replaced the factory fog light housing and installed the led pods? Of so how did you do it? Post some pics. Thanks guys

Tusk

Postby Tusk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 am

I just popped in LED bulbs - superbrightleds.com

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 am

Id love to see this if anyone has done it !

cstock08

Postby cstock08 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 am

Im also debating doing this... thinking of going with a 3 inch pod

Code Pathfinder

Pods are a NO GO 🙁

Postby Code Pathfinder » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 am

Just tried on my Pathfinder yesterday No go you would have to modify the bumper bezel for it to work. Even then you'll have a gap where water could get in.

I would just go with getting led bulbs and factory fog light units. You can run your own switch for them or just use the switch on your headlights switch if you have the fog light option. If not order the part on ebay or some part site.

cstock08

Postby cstock08 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 am

Modifying the bumper bezel was something I expected to do...just a tiny bit of cutting and some universal brackets should so the trick Id think?? Unless theres something you saw that would keep that from working???

Code Pathfinder

Up and I you

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:25 am

If you can get the pods to fit by modifying the bezel then it should work.

The only concern I had was how I was going to get some of the gaps filled around the pod. Maybe using some epoxy or even getting a plastic welder if possible.

cstock08

Postby cstock08 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

what if you got flush mount...like a 5 inch pod, that would help where you wouldnt have to fill anything

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:27 pm

I've got the Morimoto LED fog lights that are going for ~$160.. they're super bright and cast a really sharp cutoff. I know it's not really what you're asking about but figured I would chime since its an LED option. Ignore the headlights, they're warming up is why they had the odd color.

kennynnek

Postby kennynnek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Infinity, what headlights are those??

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm

kennynnek wrote:Infinity, what headlights are those??
Believe it or not they're the stock housings. I baked them open and painted the insides and retrofitted projectors into them.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am

Infinity-x wrote:
Believe it or not they're the stock housings. I baked them open and painted the insides and retrofitted projectors into them.
Hi I like the look and idea of your solution but can you describe the process of "Baking" the housing to get the lens off? IE How hot for how long and how did you proceed to pop it off?

Thanks

~ Phil

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am

mpilihp wrote:
Infinity-x wrote:
Hi I like the look and idea of your solution but can you describe the process of "Baking" the housing to get the lens off? IE How hot for how long and how did you proceed to pop it off?

Thanks

~ Phil
Look on youtube for how to reseal headlights in the oven. Same procedure. Warm up in oven to loosen up the rubber, then pry off the lens. Reheat in oven to reapply. You will probably need butyl rubber from somewhere like Morimoto to replace it.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 am

Hi thanks, appears they have an LED version but are all out of them now. Im going to look into the projector housings that are all set to go as well as my Lens are all scratched and fogged and I know you can buff them but once you start its a continuous thing you need to keep doing.

~ Phil

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 pm

mpilihp wrote:Hi thanks, appears they have an LED version but are all out of them now. Im going to look into the projector housings that are all set to go as well as my Lens are all scratched and fogged and I know you can buff them but once you start its a continuous thing you need to keep doing.

~ Phil
If you have an orbital polisher it's not too bad. By hand...it sucks and only works so well.

First time with sandpaper and all the feeling. Then once a year or so, orbital polisher with PlastX:

Right after polishing in 2017:

Last month after polishing for a few minutes with PlastX:

Original headlights from 2005! :D

Return to “R51 Electrical”