Rear Hatch & Glass Struts Revisited.......

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm

smj999smj wrote:
eieio wrote:
smj999smj wrote:The glass lifts from McMaster-Carr are P/N: 9416K162

200psi is probably the most popular for the rear hatch. A lot of people have used the 225psi and have thought they were a bit too much.
thanks smj! :D
are they close to equivalent to stock lifts?
NVSteve posted a pic comparison of the two and comments on page 7 of the link I previously posted:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=90
As to the glass lifts from McMaster, they function identically to stock, meaning that they barely work now. If I decide to replace them again, I'm going to up the rate on them.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:50 pm

NVSteve wrote:As to the glass lifts from McMaster, they function identically to stock, meaning that they barely work now. If I decide to replace them again, I'm going to up the rate on them.
How long did they last?
Do you think upping the rate would extend their life?
I just installed McMaster-Carr rear hatch and rear window lifts (OEM equivalent) on my R51.
They seem a bit "springier" than stock (compared to my wife's relatively new OEM replacements on her R51), enough so that I think upping them would be too stiff.
Last edited by eieio on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am

eieio wrote:
NVSteve wrote:As to the glass lifts from McMaster, they function identically to stock, meaning that they barely work now. If I decide to replace them again, I'm going to up the rate on them.
How long did they last?
Do you think upping the rate would extend their life?
I just installed McMaster-Carr rear hatch and rear window lifts (OEM equivalent) on my R51.
They seem a bit "springier" than stock (compared to my wife's relatively new OEM on her R51), enough so that I think upping them would be too stiff.
Not sure how long they lasted. They lost most of the lift maybe a year ago, so however long of a time it was between the install and a year ago.

One of the reasons I went with the 225 for the hatch was that I knew these things would fade over time. My hatch still opens with no problem, regardless of the temperature. Not as powerfully as when new, but they are still far away from being replaced. The glass struts I installed were virtually identical to OEM, and the OEM struts sucked for me since day 1 of ownership. I think bumping the rate up 10 or 15 lbs would really help with the longevity of the things. The only thing holding me back are the really weak hinges for the glass. Not sure how they would hold up with stiffer struts pushing them when opening/closing.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”