New pathfinder owner Lift help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

WestCooper

New pathfinder owner Lift help

Postby WestCooper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey guys, just picked up a 2012 pathfinder. Super excited about it, but it needs some beefing up in my opinion. I figured a good place to start would be a lift. So, what would be a good place to start? I’m thinking a 2†lift, and I’m thinking I’m going to do it myself. What should I know? I’ve never done a lift, but I am mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance! I’m excited to be part of the community.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:02 am

I think the next question that you should ask about doing a lift is if you want a suspension lift or a body lift. I personally don't have a lift, but from doing basic home garage suspension work in the past, I would say that the suspension would be the easiest of the two. Maybe one of the other guys can chime in here with some recs.

WestCooper

Postby WestCooper » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Definitely thinking suspension lift

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am

Definitely a suspension lift. Since you want 2" of lift, it narrows it down. The one thing I don't know about, but also would not recommend, would be spacers/combination of spacers & springs.

The only two true suspension options, at least available Stateside, would be OME or Dobinsons. I started with OME, both shocks and springs. Recently replaced the shocks with those from Dobinsons. Keep in mind that our vehicles really don't like to be lifted, and you may encounter alignment issues. If you don't have adj. cam bolts up front, you will probably want to throw those on as well. Cost for parts should be between $600-800, depending on sales, etc. There are a few threads here discussing lift options & I would suggest finding those and reading through them from start to finish just so you can see what is out there & what you will be up against.

marsdawg

Postby marsdawg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

You may get a lot of "advice " with that question but the best advice is what NVSteve said is that you should spend some time reviewing other posts on the subject. It seems folks have encountered different problems associated with what seems to be a straight forward project. I can agree that these things don't like to be lifted but many of us have ignored the obvious. From my own experience I would recommend the Deluxe suspension lift from 4x4 Parts featuring Bilstein shocks. You will need the adjustable camber bolts for the front as mentioned and I recommend adjustable Upper Control Arm bushings for the rear to eliminate the alignment issues that you will have after installing the lift. While you have it apart I would recommend replacing any/all suspension bushings whether they look like they need it or not. The stock bushings are trash and if you don't think that they need replacing now it won't be long before you will. You will immediately notice the difference in the ride. If you are mechanically inclined to do the work yourself then you can save some $$$ but as I found out, a reputable 4x4 shop is invaluable. They know how 4x4s work and know how and what needs to be checked out where other shops don't have a clue. And that leads to me to the last advice I will share that I learned early on this forum...Most dealerships are ignorant when it comes to working on 4x4s. The one I used to go to told me that I would never be able to get my alignment is spec once the lift was installed. You will easily have ~$800 in parts alone to do a low end but quality lift. But the sky is the limit and assessorizing is addicting. Look around on this forum and you will see an array of different size lifts all of which are only limited by your wallet. Determine a budget, make a plan, and have fun but don't try to cut corners trying to save a dime. Good Luck!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”