Shudder at very low speeds

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

offroad_path

Shudder at very low speeds

Postby offroad_path » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:34 pm

08 LE V8. 138k miles. Original radiator replaced.

Recently I am starting to get a shudder, what seems to be either the torque converter or the tranny. It happens only after you slow down to almost a stop, and then go to drive off (without stopping). Say coming up to an intersection. It shudders for about a second and then its fine.
Almost like you are catching the transmission in the wrong gear and its trying to shift into the right one but can't properly.
Any other speed / gear it is fine. Completely stop is fine. Happens mainly when cold.

I haven't had any milkshake issues in the transmission fluid. Recently the car was in for service and they were meant to have flushed / cleaned out a bunch of fluids.

Any thoughts on whether it is tranny, torque converter or more fluid issue?

Thanks in advance...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Any idea what the fluid looked like?

Checked u joints?

offroad_path

Postby offroad_path » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 pm

disallow wrote:Any idea what the fluid looked like?

Checked u joints?
Fluid is clean.

Have not checked u joints. Would they cause issue in only "almost stopped" then acceleration and not starting from a full stop?

Thanks for the help!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 am

offroad_path wrote:
disallow wrote:Any idea what the fluid looked like?

Checked u joints?
Fluid is clean.

Have not checked u joints. Would they cause issue in only "almost stopped" then acceleration and not starting from a full stop?

Thanks for the help!
Yes they could.
Of course tranny could as well but based on your maintenance that seems like a lower possibility.
On the other hand you are not at low miles and i dont know how hard you've run the truck.. but extreme abuse excluded as long as folks change the radiator in a timely fashion they seem to last 160-200+k miles for most people.

On an Xterra I changed the radiator right away after buying.. but still got a valve body issue (symptom was slippage)

Dont know about the V8s but the V6s also have goofy motormounts and get a weird shudder in "D" at very low rmps at times for that reason.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”