Rear suspencion

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Rear suspencion

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am

I took my car to get the distributor installed on Saturday and the mechanics could not get the timing right. Turns out that the timing belt is off by a teeth in which whoever installed it in the past prior to my ownership, the mechanic did not do the job right. Also turns out that I need a new water pump since the current one is leaking drops. Now it turns out that I need to order the water pump kit / timing belt kit as well.

He advise me that these SUV's tend to have some bushings that go off in the rear making the car lean side to side, which ones are the ones that I need in order to replace them? I want to take care of that when I do my rack and pinion (1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE).[/quote]

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 am

The bushings he's referring to are the ones in the upper and lower, rear suspension links. Honestly, you are better off just replacing the entire link assemblies and the bushings can be a bit of a pain to press in and out. Also, Dorman Products sells complete links at a reasonable price which carry a lifetime warranty. Sometimes the bolts will seize to the steel sleeve inside of the bushing requiring them to be cut out with a Sawzall. Unless the bushings are split or broken, there is no reason to replace them. When they do go bad, you'll know it as the back end will wander all over the road!

Dorman part numbers:

Upper links (need 2): 905-802
Rear, lower left: 905-803
Rear, lower right: 905-804

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:38 am

smj999smj wrote:The bushings he's referring to are the ones in the upper and lower, rear suspension links. Honestly, you are better off just replacing the entire link assemblies and the bushings can be a bit of a pain to press in and out. Also, Dorman Products sells complete links at a reasonable price which carry a lifetime warranty. Sometimes the bolts will seize to the steel sleeve inside of the bushing requiring them to be cut out with a Sawzall. Unless the bushings are split or broken, there is no reason to replace them. When they do go bad, you'll know it as the back end will wander all over the road!

Dorman part numbers:

That is what my mechanic was telling me, in order to prevent it I need to slow the car down. He recommended me to replace them since I am at 173,000 miles, that they can go back pretty soon. Does Moog make any of those parts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm

jetstream87 wrote:
smj999smj wrote:The bushings he's referring to are the ones in the upper and lower, rear suspension links. Honestly, you are better off just replacing the entire link assemblies and the bushings can be a bit of a pain to press in and out. Also, Dorman Products sells complete links at a reasonable price which carry a lifetime warranty. Sometimes the bolts will seize to the steel sleeve inside of the bushing requiring them to be cut out with a Sawzall. Unless the bushings are split or broken, there is no reason to replace them. When they do go bad, you'll know it as the back end will wander all over the road!

Dorman part numbers:

That is what my mechanic was telling me, in order to prevent it I need to slow the car down. He recommended me to replace them since I am at 173,000 miles, that they can go back pretty soon. Does Moog make any of those parts?
I'm pretty sure they used to have both the uppers and lowers, but all I can find now from Moog is the upper links, Moog # RK660903, also with a limited lifetime warranty. Their catalog only shows the bushings for the lower links, # K200720, but not the complete link.
MAS makes both upper and lowers, also with limited lifetime warranty. Pretty sure the quality if pretty much the same as Dorman and Moog.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”