Aftermarket radiator question

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Mads S

Aftermarket radiator question

Postby Mads S » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 am

Hi everyone, recently my radiator leaked badly. I've taken it to my local shop, and guys told me that there's no point in trying to fix it, as it will leak in a week or two again. Now, I need a new radiator, and I've checked my local yards, nothing's there. If I order one from the dealer, it's going to cost me around 1.2 K. I thought of an aftermarket one, because of the price. Yet before ordering one for myself wanted to ask your folks opinion. Because that's kinda strange - an aftermarket one is $100 plus some shipping, and it's new... You see, the difference is huge which seems quite suspicious to me.
PS - and I drive a 2003 Pathfinder.
Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Even as a Nissan tech, I never understood why the genuine Nissan radiators cost so much. There's nothing special about them; the are made by Calsonic. The new, aftermarket radiators that are available seem to be just as good, quality-wise. For 2005-2010 Nissan truck and suv owners, there have been a whole lot of aftermarket radiators used due to the problems with the internal trans cooler failing in the factory-installed radiators. If I was getting one, I would go to Rockauto.com and order me a TYC # 2459 radiator, which carries a limited-lifetime warranty. Use discount code # 7535080767490543 for 5% off. You'd probably be looking at around $75 w/ shipping.
If you need a new radiator cap, hoses or upper radiator mount bushings, they also carry that at great prices!

Mads S

Postby Mads S » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for the code, man, ordered off rockauto already.
I checked ebay and other suppliers like https://www.carid.com/koyorad/radiator-mpn-2459.html but the prices start with $90 and then they go and charge shipping on top of that, and it is $150 altogether... And I do not want the used rad, you know. Appreciate your help!
One more question, sir, could you direct me to the thread where you folks discuss the radiator installation (if there is one, of course).
Appreciate all your help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 am

I don't recall a thread, but the pre-2005 Pathfinders are pretty simple. Drop the skid plate, remove the lower shroud cover and drain the coolant. Disconnect the A/T cooler lines from the bottom tank and plug them off. Disconnect the reservoir hose and set aside. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. Unbolt the upper radiator brackets and remove. Pull straight up on the radiator and remove. Unbolt the radiator shroud from the old radiator and install on the new radiator and reverse procedure to install. If you need to replace any drive belts or hoses, do so before installing the new radiator. Fill with coolant and purge air out of the system.
There might be a vid on YouTube if you search for one. If you want a factory service manual for your vehicle, you can download one for free at Nico Club's site (just Google it).

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”