Scary snow handling

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Eric_VT

Scary snow handling

Postby Eric_VT » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Hey all. This is my first winter with a 2012 4wd (no auto). Picked it up a couple months ago after my Tacoma fell victim to someone who couldn't tell a red light from a green. May it RIP.

The snow has started to fly here in Vermont and I've noticed something alarming about how this vehicle handles in the white stuff. It tracks perfect in the rain or on dry roads, but it's nearly impossible to keep it in a straight line, even in 4wd, when the roads are snowy. It's unbelievably squirrely and it's a constant fight with the back end. It almost feels like the rears aren't clearing the treads and I'm driving on packed snow. This happens in both 4wd and 2wd.

Some things I've already looked into -

truck as new Cooper Discovery M+S snows; new sway bar links front and back; front and rear alignment less than 750 miles ago; new rear lower control arms less than 750 miles ago; tires properly mounted; all pressures within 3 psi of one another; no noticeable issues in the rain or when dry.

I've been driving in snow since I was 11 and would plow driveways and parking lots with my father. I've never been in a rig that seems so sketchy in the snow. I love the vehicle so far, but if I do a lot of winter driving and if I can't get this fixed I can't keep the vehicle.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Has the truck ever been in an accident?

Can you post the results of the alignment? We have some experts that can weigh in on the numbers. (not me)

Eric_VT

Postby Eric_VT » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:54 am

disallow wrote:Has the truck ever been in an accident?

Can you post the results of the alignment? We have some experts that can weigh in on the numbers. (not me)
No accidents reported. I suppose you don't know what you don't know though...

I don't have the alignment numbers in front of me, but they did end up doing control arms and camber bolts to make it happen.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:59 am

I had a brand new Honda that was scary on ice. Put wicked winter tires on it, it still felt like I was going to hit the ditch every time I hit a patch of ice.

2 years later discovered the alignment was way out, but had it checked several times over that period. I had finally taken it to a specialty tire/alignment shop and he sorted it out.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:49 am

That's odd. I have a 2006 LE AWD and 2008 SE 4x4 and they both cut through the snow without any problem. I've had Michelin LTX MS/2's and now I'm on Nitto Dura Grapplers (the Michelins were better overall, but both do well in the snow).
That said, what we get for snow is nothing compared to what you get in Vermont. It's probably be worth investing in a second set of wheels with winter tires. Got to TireRack.com and they have reviews on all of their tires and they have several winter tire options.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:57 am

I just bought two of these tube sandbags from Lowes and put each one at the rear wheels.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-Sand/3067709

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 pm

That is odd? I have a 2012 base 4x4 model and with the right tires I find my R51 will go just about everywhere. We get a good amount of snow here in Western MA. I will say that in deep snow of at leased 8" or more going up my driveway and on the gas it can pull to the right or left a bit accessively.

I did go down a deserted road once in about 14" of snow just fine before I chickened out and turned around but it drove fine. I find snow performance is just as much tires as it is having 4x4.

Madcow

Postby Madcow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:57 am

smj999smj wrote:I've had Michelin LTX MS/2's
I'm on my second set of these tires, love them

Eric_VT

update

Postby Eric_VT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:09 pm

So, I have an update for yall. As it turns out, when the mechanic swapped out the frozen toe bolts and the lower control arms, they never realigned the rear as I was led to believe. The rear toe was out 0.92 degrees on each side. I expect this should solve the problem.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate the help. Can't wait to see where this vehicle takes me.
[/img]

Eric_VT

Postby Eric_VT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:13 pm

As I mentioned before, it did turn out to be an alignment issue. Toe out in the rear by 0.92 on each side. They never aligned it after doing the toe bolts and control arms, as I was led to believe.

Follow up question though. Apparently the camber bolts are frozen as well and as such they are still out of alignment. They are at -0.6 on each side (threshold is -0.5) I was told that they aren't out enough to worry about right now, and that it's not worth risking damage trying to get extract them. What do you guys think?[/quote]

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:52 pm

If its a 2012, I'm surprised you already have issues with siezd bolts. Our 2010 had one of the front arm bolts sieze up this year but we had it replaced under 7/100k warranty. I've cut a few out of my new-to-me 2006 pathy but I half expected that from a 10-yr old. I goobered the heck out of the shafts of the new bolts with anti-seize - time will tell if it helpd; it seems the alignment on these pathys are out every couple years

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 pm

I went through tbe same issue. Drove okay until driving on snow. Was fish tailing so bad. Alignment help resolve the issue.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”