Positive ownership

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Positive ownership

Postby Kestral » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 am

Often I find on auto Forums that people come on here to talk about issues with there car or truck either big issues or small ones and that's fine that's one of the advantages to forums. The only negative is you don't hear much about anything positive so here you go..

I often ask people what they think of there R51 Pathfinder, Frontier pickup, or Nissan Extera just to see the response I get. Yesterday I was dropping my son off at day camp and this woman gets out of her R1 Pathy basic S model looking just like mine when I bought it several years ago. How do you like your Pathfinder I ask? .... Best car or truck I have ever had she says! It has been extremely reliable bought it new in 2011 and we have 231,000 miles on it nothing has broken we just do brakes oil changes and tires! .. I said Nice!

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am

Agreed, and I had the same thing happen several times. People approaching me, actually, asking how I liked the car.
Few months ago I had someone walk up to me that was considering one but was hesitant on pulling the trigger because of fuel mileage.
While I couldn't soothe his conscience on the mileage, the multiple benefits and good sides of the car were enough for him to justify it to the wife.

KAHBOOM

Postby KAHBOOM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 am

Same here. Barely any issues at all since December 2004 when we got our 2005 SE 4X4.
used the warranty twice- once for a rattle and another for the Heater blowing cold.
We replaced cats when they needed replacing but this truck has been a rock. And I am extremely picky about our cars.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:52 pm

We bought not one, but two new 2005 R51s.
The SE-OR has about 62K on it and the SE 2WD about 40K.
As yet, we've never been disappointed with them, and intend to keep them indefinitely. :D

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

I really like my R51 also.
No problems but short ownership time yet.

weaver

Postby weaver » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 pm

I know this is and older post so my apologies if I'm in the wrong place. New to using forums(In 2019? Really? Where have you been hiding!) It's funny, I've been thinking about posting good things about the PF. As a newbie I've been reading a TON of posts, mostly older, to familiarize myself with potential issues and their solutions. I tend to over think and worry too much(blessing and a curse). I realized that my puny human brain was getting super-saturated with bad, expensive and stressful problems folks have had. Did I F up buying this? Is the world going to implode? No. I'm just seeing things from dozens of years across thousands of vehicles; each with their own needs and personalities. (Yes I believe every vehicle has a "soul", like us they have a myriad of components working together and it isn't a stretch fo one small thing to stop the whole she-bang. It's amazing that humans and cars funtion as long as they do :D ) Anyway, to boost my self confidence and maybe others, here's a reminder to myself why I bought it. Sister-in-law had 95 Maxima for over 11 years, routine maintence is all; said goodbye to it at 340,xxx mi only because it was rotten from a life on the Michigan road salt flats. Now has 2011 Nissan minivan (can't recall model, sux getting old). Brother (in MI) had 05 or 06 Titan with no issues (other than rear axle defect which Nissan rectified at no cost). Traded it in for upgraded 2016. My dad has 06 Armada (drool drool wanna sell it? No, you could'nt afford what it's worth. Thanks yet again. Yes I've got issues,who doesn't). No problems and that thing's a TANK!. Mom had 03 Infinti I35 that we bought from her in 2013. No major issues, normal maintenance. Just sold it at 189,000 miles because the body was unzipping ( it had been rear-ended twice, and she wrecked the front twice. You couldn't tell it had been repaired, even by looking at the bones). The fender wells and under body pinch welds were rusting pretty bad, not the car's fault tho. I grew up in the 70s and 80s listening to my dad bitch about GM. We were always a GM family, by default I would guess. He even worked at Delco in Dayton in the 60s. Dad and bro are engineers, so they are hyper aware of design/assembly flaws. Alot of the issues before our Nissans joined us was where the bean counters super-ceded the engineers. That occurs on nearly everything though. However, Nissan has a good balance between the 2. These are all reliable NISSANs. Great value for the hard earned buck. For me, driving and especially wrenching on them is night and day compared to my Chevy Trailblazer (still have, 244,xxx mi, good truck except for all the stupid stuff I've had to fix (usually a PITA to do so, not meant to be serviced) that should'nt have been needed if they spent .002 cents more on parts :x ); my former 96 S-10, 86 mustang, 76 Cutlass Supreme (man I wish I still had that car tho) . Logical design and construction is why I bought this PF. Fun to drive. Reasonable to work on. Easy to maintain. Like the style (prefer R50s, could'nt find a decent one, clock was ticking). So to sum up, once I get through replacing and upgrading things that need it I'll have a solid, capable, reliable and affordable truck that's not rusted out. And I have this forum with awesome fellow owners to help me out WHEN I get stumped. "Relax, you're ridin' with Audie Murphy!" There. I shut what's left of my brain up by stabbing it with this mental Q-tip. Now if the dang weather would just....

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Nothing wrong with answering an older thread!
We prefer posters over lurkers :D

PicklePath

Postby PicklePath » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Love my '12 LE. Just passed 88k miles with no significant issues. It fits in the garage, tows my 8x12 enclosed trailer with the dirt bikes no problem, is comfortable, and can hold a lot of people and/or junk. I don't really offroad much, but it sees plenty of forest service roads and the occasional snow. I've found that the 4wd system works great for my needs.

Recently replaced the stock shocks/struts with Bilsteins and the stock brakes with EBC. It feels very solid and composed.

Only issues so far were a blown fusible link (my fault) and a drivers seat mech that is noisy when adjusting. I need to dig into that and see what's up.

I test drove pretty much all the competition before buying it. I didn't trust unibody crossovers to be enough truck for my purposes. I hated how the 4runner drove. The steering was way too light and the transmission couldn't decide on what gear to be in. BOF Ford and Chevy offerings were too big and too expensive.

I've owned a few Nissans over the years and have always been pleased. '88 Hardbody, '10 Frontier, '12 Pathfinder, and a '12 G37s. It would appear I have become biased towards Nissans.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 pm

bumping this post.

Love my Pathy 150k miles and mostly offroad miles with 35s stock drivetrain.

LR61

Postby LR61 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 pm

I didn't buy my 2006 pathfinder, I got it as a college gift, but I really enjoy it. I've only ever had to change ball joints, hubs and tie rods. It is a very reliable vehicle that I fell in love with.

Return to “R51 General Chat”