Zero Compression, turns but does not fire

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ktmpeak

Zero Compression, turns but does not fire

Postby ktmpeak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am

I picked up a 06 pathfinder 150K miles from a woman that didn't want to spend any more money on it.

It turns over but won't fire. Compression check on 1,2,4 zero compression

I opened the timing chain cover and it appear that the chain may have jumped a tooth or two. the Timing tensioner is all the way extended.

I'm thinking about replacing he chain, guides, tensioner, and water pump.
Then I plan to hand turn it over to see if if binds up due to a bend valve.

Thoughts

What are the odds it has a bent a valve?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

..........a cylinder leakdown test would tell you if there's leakage between the valves & heads without going to the expense of the repairs you mentioned

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm

eieio wrote:..........a cylinder leakdown test would tell you if there's leakage between the valves & heads without going to the expense of the repairs you mentioned
Exactly! Don't order anything untill you find out how the compression is. If it has no compression and it also need the complete timing set it may be more cost effective to just order a complete rebuilt engine or find a used engine at a junk yard. Is the transmission in good shape?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:07 am

They are interference engines and they will bend valves, so it may need to have the heads removed for a valve job, as well. If that's the case, I agree that a salvage yard motor may make more sense, especially if you can get one from a 2011 or later.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 am

There are always used engines available. Some of which are quite good and reasonable priced.

Swapping an engine is no joke but its a lot easier than rebuilding one.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 am

If the body, frame and transmission are in good shape then I would get a good used motor or even spend the $ for a nice rebuilt one.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”