LED Headlights and Fog Lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

slemmons

LED Headlights and Fog Lights

Postby slemmons » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:31 am

Has anyone successfully installed LED Headlight Bulbs and LED Fog Light Bulbs, and if so, which brand fit without any modifications? Seems like every 9007 LED bulb I look up has a fan or fins that are way too big to fit.

2011 SV 4x4

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I was thinking about installing LED's as headlights, but decided against it and just used high output regular bulbs. They look cool, but their overall light range output is incredibly poor. If you really do want LED's, you might take a look at these, https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -fan/2114/. Get decent ones if you do, avoid the eBay knockoffs unless it's for a interior light or something like that.

slemmons

Postby slemmons » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

I thought about getting them, but still unsure. I have some SilverStar Ultras I got for my 97 Mustang GT and never used them. So I may just use those for the time being. Just gotta get the matching Fog Light bulbs. Keep it matching and what not lol. Thanks man!
underworld1001 wrote:I was thinking about installing LED's as headlights, but decided against it and just used high output regular bulbs. They look cool, but their overall light range output is incredibly poor. If you really do want LED's, you might take a look at these, https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -fan/2114/. Get decent ones if you do, avoid the eBay knockoffs unless it's for a interior light or something like that.

slemmons

Postby slemmons » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 am

*UPDATE*

So the SilverStar Ultras ARE pretty decently bright. Has anyone tried the ZXE bulbs in their Pathfinder?

I may switch up to those if there is that much of a difference. Fairly satisfied with the Ultras and didn't have to come out of pocket.

And is there a simple way to run a wire to have the fog lights on with the Parking lights and High Beams? With my Mustang, it was only one wire to run.

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 am

Please for the love of god don't get an LED bulb for your normal headlights.

I can't recomend a retrofit enough. Either LED or HID but with a proper
Projector installed into your headlihts.

I installed Morimoto MH1 7.0's into my wifes headlights. No drilling, No cutting involved.

Just took the lens off the headlights with a little heat (Oven) and the projector literally fit through the bulb hole! Just screws on to secure it.

You'll have 100x better headlight performance than ANY led buld you put into the factory reflector.

They sell LED units too that are projectors if you gotta have led. But the MH1 HID system still outperforms their LED Projectors anyways.....

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I can get photos later if the install.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm

I'd love to see some pics!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Slemmons looks like you found your solution.

I upgraded my lights with these.

https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... toModClar=

I put them in both my XTerra and my R51 (they both take same bulb)
Am very happy with the result.

Reason I went with these (and even waited until I could them online since local stores did not have them) is a guy whose judgement I trust said they last longer than other such product typically do.

They are a bit cheaper on Amazon by 2 bucks but I try to support any company except amazon as long as i can.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am

Firefighter3244 wrote:Please for the love of god don't get an LED bulb for your normal headlights.

I can't recomend a retrofit enough. Either LED or HID but with a proper
Projector installed into your headlihts.

I installed Morimoto MH1 7.0's into my wifes headlights. No drilling, No cutting involved.

Just took the lens off the headlights with a little heat (Oven) and the projector literally fit through the bulb hole! Just screws on to secure it.

You'll have 100x better headlight performance than ANY led buld you put into the factory reflector.

They sell LED units too that are projectors if you gotta have led. But the MH1 HID system still outperforms their LED Projectors anyways.....

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I can get photos later if the install.
Hi I like the sounds of your solution but can you describe the process of "Baking" the housing to get the lens off? IE How hot for how long and how did you proceed to pop it off?

Thanks

~ Phil

Return to “R51 Electrical”