Intermittent Starting/Firing issues ...

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

duzzygirl

Intermittent Starting/Firing issues ...

Postby duzzygirl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 am

Hello, all! New the forum, not new to the Pathfinder. I have a 2008 4.0L V6 with 168,000+. Second owner. Bought from dealer that used as a rental in 2008. Had 66,000 miles when purchased.

I've come here as a last resort before taking it to a garage. I have searched the forums for similar issues, to which I've found. However, I've already exhausted most of the suggestions I've seen.

Turn the key, it cranks, does not always fire. After several attempts it will, just takes a while. When it does fire, it stutters then runs like a champ.

FUN FACT: Only I can get it to crank. Everyone else has issues. Won't even crank for them. My remote starter also will not crank.

Things we have already changed over the last year spark plugs/boots/whatever, starter, starter relay, IPDM board, cam and crank shaft sensors, and ignition switch.

Is my next step an ignition lock and cylinder assembly switch? I'm assuming that's at least part of the problem why everyone else can't get it to crank. Something worn down and the way I've been told I "jam" my key in there. Whatever. :D

Was thinking to then move on to fuel filter and that system if this doesn't work.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 pm

The fuel filter is part of the fuel tank module inside of the tank, which means you would have to drop the tank in order to replace it...and one might just as well replace the entire fuel pump module, at that point. If the filter was so clogged that it would cause it to not start right away, I would think it would be too clogged to let the engine run at any time. I would install a fuel pressure gauge and test the fuel pressure when the problem is occurring. It should be 50 psi. If fuel pressure is present, but low, I would suspect a bad pump. If there is no fuel pressure, it could still be the pump, but I since it does start eventually according to you, I might suspect the issue to potentially be what controls the pump. I believe the fuel pump relay is in the IPDM, which you state you already replaced. The security system cuts the fuel pump when activated, so that might be something to look at as well. If you had not already said you replaced it, I would say it sounds like a faulty crank position sensor. Hopefully you used a genuine Nissan or Hitachi sensor when you replaced it. SOme of the aftermarket sensors have had problems. I guess there could be an issue with the reluctance hear that the crank pos sensor reads, but that's getting a little too far ahead. Keep us updated!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Be sure to not overlook the battery as a potential here.
A weak battery or loose cable connections can cause intermittent starting problems, especially during cold weather..
Pay close attention to the battery (-) clamp on the battery post.
Even with the clamp pinch nut tight, the clamp on the post might not be.

Does it re-start OK when warmed up?

The fuel filter is not likely to be a problem, I don't think anyone here has had that be a specific problem.The fuel pump/filter assy. is a federal production to remove, so don't go there unless you're sure there is a problem with it.
Is the remote start feature aftermarket?

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

smj999smj ... I'll have to look into the fuel system further. May be something I'll send it to a garage for. I'm all for changing things out that I can pretty much pop in and out, plug and play so to speak.

eieio ... The battery is fairly new, less than a year. It does restart when warmed up. Though, it has also done it when it was cold. Must have restarted 10 times in a row the other day when it was frigid out and we changed the crank shaft sensor. Thought it was golden, until the next morning. The remote starter is aftermarket. It went in early 2014. Stopped working when I started having problems late 2016/early 2017, which is how long I've been trouble shooting and thinking it's fixed for a month or so then it starts all over ...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm

duzzygirl wrote:smj999smj ... I'll have to look into the fuel system further. May be something I'll send it to a garage for. I'm all for changing things out that I can pretty much pop in and out, plug and play so to speak.

eieio ... The battery is fairly new, less than a year. It does restart when warmed up. Though, it has also done it when it was cold. Must have restarted 10 times in a row the other day when it was frigid out and we changed the crank shaft sensor. Thought it was golden, until the next morning. The remote starter is aftermarket. It went in early 2014. Stopped working when I started having problems late 2016/early 2017, which is how long I've been trouble shooting and thinking it's fixed for a month or so then it starts all over ...
battery: "fairly new " doesn't necessarily mean good, even a new battery can be defective.
what about the battery cable clamp & post condition/tightness/clean connections?
try this, see if you can "twist" or rotate the battery negative cable clamp on it's post, then the positive clamp.
many of the causes of these symptoms aren't necessarily rocket science, sometimes they turn out to be simple (and overlooked) things.
also, always suspect aftermarket parts & accessories (alarms, remote start, security systems, camshaft & crankshaft sensors).

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:02 am

Car has run great for a week, only maybe twice did it rough start. UNTIL this morning. Naturally, Monday morning.

It starts. Fires. Runs for a second, bogs down, and shuts off.

RE: Battery ... I'm not discounting the batter. Though, cables are all tight. Also, it was doing this when we put the new battery on it last year. Thought maybe it was an issue. However, issues continued and we went on down the line of things to replace. I should have mentioned that.

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Had the Pathfinder towed to a shop this week. They too thought it was just the battery. Put a new one in. I told them to sit on it a day. Then, sure enough, they now have issues. They're saying it could be either the ECM or the TCM. Would the TCM have been changed when I had the transmission replaced due to the fabulous coolant issue two years ago?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:13 pm

duzzygirl wrote:Had the Pathfinder towed to a shop this week. They too thought it was just the battery. Put a new one in. I told them to sit on it a day. Then, sure enough, they now have issues. They're saying it could be either the ECM or the TCM. Would the TCM have been changed when I had the transmission replaced due to the fabulous coolant issue two years ago?
Not sure on the TCM.

I'd be tempted to completely 100% delete the remote start system in it's entirety, and make sure all related connections (anywhere it was connected into your wiring) are clean, intact, and undamaged.

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 pm

eieio wrote:... I'd be tempted to completely 100% delete the remote start system in it's entirety, and make sure all related connections (anywhere it was connected into your wiring) are clean, intact, and undamaged.
They actually did that. That's where they started. Thought it may be causing the issue. However, issue persists. So, they then thought it was a security feature issue. Ruled that out. Now they're having me decide to fix either of those or both. We're getting in to some money here. So, I want to make an educated decision. I love this vehicle. I don't want it to not be fixed. I don't want another vehicle. I also don't want to put any more than $1000 more into it. That's kind of my yearly limit after the transmission two years ago.

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 am

It's at the dealership. They ran a diagnostics, nothing popped up. They put a new IPDM board in, it works fine. So, now I just have to decide to have them order a new board (one they used is used and won't sell) and install or order a new board again myself and worry that it'll go bad in a year as well. It's a crap shoot. I do it myself, I'll save about $200. I let them do it, may be more of a warranty. I'm just waiting on a call back.

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Back to square one. Got it back from dealership Friday morning. Fire and no start issues started right up again on Monday. Now, oddly enough, the damn headlights won’t work, low or high beams. Put new in, changed fuses. Nada. Great.

So, brand new battery and IPDM board. I’m so frustrated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Interesting because the IPDM powers the headlights. It's controlled by the BCM which receives input from the headlight switch. I wonder if the new IPDM went bad?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:17 pm

smj999smj wrote:Interesting because the IPDM powers the headlights. It's controlled by the BCM which receives input from the headlight switch. I wonder if the new IPDM went bad?
I'm wondering if another component is somehow damaging the IPDM.

duzzygirl

Postby duzzygirl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 pm

eieio wrote:... I'm wondering if another component is somehow damaging the IPDM.
Same here. The last garage disconnected the after market remote starter. The dealership said they noticed that before hooking up the new board. So, outside of that, there’s nothing aftermarket on the system. They’ve run a diagnostic on it twice now. It’s coming up clear/clean/whatever. No codes.

Thankfully, they’re saying trying to figure it out now is warranty work since they worked on it last. Supposed to let me know Monday. Though, when the mechanic said he was dumbfounded yesterday and nothing made sense, it’s not looking good for the old girl.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:30 pm

duzzygirl wrote:
eieio wrote:... I'm wondering if another component is somehow damaging the IPDM.
Same here. The last garage disconnected the after market remote starter. The dealership said they noticed that before hooking up the new board. So, outside of that, there’s nothing aftermarket on the system. They’ve run a diagnostic on it twice now. It’s coming up clear/clean/whatever. No codes.

Thankfully, they’re saying trying to figure it out now is warranty work since they worked on it last. Supposed to let me know Monday. Though, when the mechanic said he was dumbfounded yesterday and nothing made sense, it’s not looking good for the old girl.
Is it at a Nissan dealership?
If so, perhaps you might have the service manager get Nissan involved for info & help to find the underlying problem.
Caution though, each & every bit of aftermarket circuitry & wiring & connections must be removed or neutered or it will remain suspect.
If a Nissan dealer sold & installed the new IPDM, and it is indeed defective (not damaged by anything else, aftermarket or otherwise), they should be amenable to replace it again.
Get a copy of the Nissan Parts Warranty Policy (or Spare Parts Warranty Policy - whatever they call it) & study it carefully.

Return to “R51 Electrical”