New member...new pathfinder (to me) and worries

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

bubba59

New member...new pathfinder (to me) and worries

Postby bubba59 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Just bought a used 2005 pathfinder...119k miles...very happy so far but worried as to what I've gotten into.
I was aware of the trans/radiator problems before I bought and the previous owner had replaced the radiator and had the tranny rebuilt only 12k miles before.
So far there are a couple of things that need work but nothing major and they had their mechanic go over most of the basic stuff prior to selling.

My biggest concern is the timing chain...there is an audible rattle in the engine compartment and I've kinda ruled out the heatshields...sounds as if it's either the chain or maybe something in the passenger side engine compartment making the noise...
it definitely isn't a whine which is what I've heard the chain problem sounds like...more of just a rattle at idle...

concerned me enough to call a shop and ask how much to replace the chains and guides...1500.00 was what I was quoted...but I don't want to start throwing money at it right away...
Should I be concerned? And is there anyway to comfirm it's the timing chain or just risk it?
Thanks!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Welcome!

I reiterate my post in the other thread its way to early to push any panic buttons.
Enjoy your truck and welcome to this community! :)

N.Y.X.

Postby N.Y.X. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 am

Hey there, timing chain will make noise with the RPM's. If your noises don't directly correlate with your revs, it's not going to be the timing chain. Good luck, I hate noises!!!

timberghstt

Postby timberghstt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I just got a 2005 also and really love it. it's really clean and everything under the hood and from underneath the car does not look like a 13 year old vehicle. I'm hearing a whine that is parallel with the engine revs high pitched. I did some research and sounds like it's the timing secondary timing belt issue. I'm not like freaking out or anything even though this is a very expensive repair job. I love this Pathfinder so much I'm willing to bite the bullet and get it done so I can keep this thing basically forever.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”